• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jasper is getting close to being fully flighted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanna

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
After over a year of waiting, Jasper is finally molting and losing those horrible clipped feathers!!! He only has a couple of clipped feathers left on each wing. I think 3 primaries on each side are fully grown in and there are a couple more feathers growing right now. He has definitely been getting more glide and not falling to the ground in a crash. I think he realizes this and has been practicing by launching himself off things randomly and flying as far as he can. But there's so little control! I don't want to encourage him too much until he is fully flighted so that he doesn't get discouraged. Is there anything I can do to prepare him for full flight?

I am SO excited for my little grey to finally be able to fly! It's so sad watching him flap whenever Maya is flying past him. :dance5:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
How exciting!!!!!! Whoot whoot!! You go Jasper!!!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Awesome!!! Go Jasper!!! He is going to LOVE being able to fly with Maya!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:highfive: Jasper!!

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
WOOHOO!!! WTG, Jasper!!! :highfive:

This may be a good time to start some recall training. With Ceddy, when her flights started to come back in after her horrible clip, I started out very short distance, basically going from a 'stretched out step up' to a 'wing assisted hop' away and slowly increasing the distance as she gained flying ability. I believe it made a big difference in giving her 'safe' practice and helping her regain confidence.

Last edited:

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
We've still got a 2 feather/mid wing symmetrical clip showing.
Jak's molted all the other feathers and those haven't shed but she's been learning.
She's so hesitant to do many of the things that Koi does naturally. I did finally get a mini clip on her right. She can gain air if she applies herself but it's more difficult.
I know how you feel. It's exciting, isn't it?
I really thing peer pressure works on these. Jak will leap off and follow after Koi the majority of the time when it involves flight across the living room to either the guinea pig pen in the dining or the entryway to the kitchen.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.