• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jasmine, AKA Jazzy, AKA Woo

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Many of you know about my Harley's medical issues over the past several months and all that he is going through. Back before all that started however I had the idea of introducing him to other Grey's to see how he would react and if a flock like environment would be good for him (and me). He always reacted positively to other Grey's that he would see in passing at the groomers or vets, and having two GCC's demonstrated to me the benefits of letting birds develop both human and avian relationships. As his medical issues started to worsen though this plan was put on the back burner, until an acquaintance of mine (and @sunnysmom ) messaged me about her Grey.

So, I want you all to meet Jasmine, aka Jazzy, aka Woo. I've had her for a week this coming Sunday. I was told she’s about 30 years old however there appears to be a date on her band of “00”, so she could potentially only be 18 or so if those numbers represent the year. I am calling her a she but she has not been DNA tested. The background I have on her is limited. I was told her first owner passed away after having her for many years and she went to live with the daughter. After a few years with her she was surrendered to a shelter, and that is how she ended up with most recent owner. I was told she didn’t come out very much and doesn’t step up, but did let her owner “scoop” her onto her hand occasionally. She is missing digits/nails on four of her toes. She doesn’t seem to have too much trouble perching but is a little unsure of herself at times.

I’ve already started target training and she is doing great with that thus far. We have also start training where I touch her beak ever so slightly and that has gone well so far too. She seems to enjoy attention and being outside her cage. Diet transition has been fairly easy as she readily accepts Harrison's pellets and chop. She is separated from Harley and the other birds for quarantine but they have made a few calls to each other from across the house so far.

So we'll see how everything goes. The end goal is to have her and Harley in a double cage such as this one: 80x40 parrot cage, flight cage, bird cage, aviary, divided cage | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages or a small walk in aviary: Walk in Aviary Parrot Flight cage by Centurion Cages and aviaries | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages Obviously that is far down the road, but my hope is that they would be good for each other and both thrive in a flock like environment.

AD27B34D-EB4E-41FE-B71F-80015841AC2F.jpeg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh my goodness! I am so excited for you! I had told our friend about Harley and suggested her reaching out to you! I hope things go well. I have met Miss Jasmine. She is a cutie!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Actually do you remember when I said I had been contacted to foster a grey? That's her! She ended up not needing to be fostered obviously

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Jasmine! :)

Congrats to you, Jake! She's a beauty, for sure...and, like all Greys, she has the look of wisdom in her eyes...:heart:

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
What a cutie! Congrats!

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Oh my goodness! I am so excited for you! I had told our friend about Harley and suggested her reaching out to you! I hope things go well. I have met Miss Jasmine. She is a cutie!
Actually do you remember when I said I had been contacted to foster a grey? That's her! She ended up not needing to be fostered obviously
I do remember us talking about you fostering a Grey! I never pieced the two together that it would be her. She actually reached out a few months ago as we were getting ready to move and was okay waiting until we settled in the new place. She sure is a cutie and she knows it! And highly food motivated, which makes figuring out rewards for training easier, haha. She loves to eat and has tried everything we have given her- except almonds, surprisingly. Ate a bunch of sprouted rice, lentils, garbanzo, mung, and popcorn tonight. So far her favorites are birdie bread, sprouted rice, apple, watermelon, and Wordly Cuisine African Sunset.

Built her a quick stand today using some dragon wood to try and work with her away from her cage. She's interested in it- she climbs down the cage door, taps/chews the tip of the dragon wood for a second, then climbs back up. She flew off the cage tonight and into the kitchen, I think she wanted attention. Let me pick her up off the floor and sat with me on the chair for a few minutes; of course I had to reward with a few sunflower seeds, much to her amusement. I was just about to take her back to the cage because I could tell she was ready when she flew off the chair and onto the floor. Went to pick her back up and she told me no with a quick squawk and marched over to her cage, climbed up the side, and proceeded to preen herself. It was actually kind of amusing as I could tell she was saying "no, I'll do it myself, thank you very much".

98080D48-F844-4760-9987-3CBFB413D6C2.jpeg

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Went to pick her back up and she told me no with a quick squawk and marched over to her cage, climbed up the side, and proceeded to preen herself. It was actually kind of amusing as I could tell she was saying "no, I'll do it myself, thank you very much".
How can you not love that? :heart:

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
How can you not love that? :heart:
I know, so opinionated. As she settles in I am starting to see her slightly mischievous side- she loves climbing around the outside of the cage, trying to chew the blinds and woodwork, and get on the floor :). I think she’s also starting to crave my attention, but doesn’t exactly trust me yet or doesn’t really know how or what kind of attention she wants. She’s a sweet bird though.

Working on touch training with her target sessions and she has already learned how to be more gentle with that beak :). I’ll rub her beak with my finger a few times and give her a sunflower seed. Well occasionally she will nip, not hard or angry but just enough that she knows she isn’t getting a treat for it. So I say no, and she puts her head down and sticks her beak out for me to touch a few times, then looks up and gives me a look that says “hello, where is my sunflower?”

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
occasionally she will nip, not hard or angry but just enough that she knows she isn’t getting a treat for it. So I say no, and she puts her head down and sticks her beak out for me to touch a few times, then looks up and gives me a look that says “hello, where is my sunflower?”
:coffeescreen: Clever girl! Welcome, Jazzy. :sunflower:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I know, so opinionated. As she settles in I am starting to see her slightly mischievous side- she loves climbing around the outside of the cage, trying to chew the blinds and woodwork, and get on the floor :). I think she’s also starting to crave my attention, but doesn’t exactly trust me yet or doesn’t really know how or what kind of attention she wants. She’s a sweet bird though.

Working on touch training with her target sessions and she has already learned how to be more gentle with that beak :). I’ll rub her beak with my finger a few times and give her a sunflower seed. Well occasionally she will nip, not hard or angry but just enough that she knows she isn’t getting a treat for it. So I say no, and she puts her head down and sticks her beak out for me to touch a few times, then looks up and gives me a look that says “hello, where is my sunflower?”
I'm getting to love her more and more...I'm a sucker for sassy, independent birdies...it sounds like you're going to have your hands full with her on an ongoing basis, Jake...;)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm getting to love her more and more...I'm a sucker for sassy, independent birdies...it sounds like you're going to have your hands full with her on an ongoing basis, Jake...;)
Jake and Harley probably both will. :D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That's so great Jake! It sounds like she's settling in really well- and quickly. I know our friend is also very happy that she's fitting in so well into your home. I don't think her other birds liked Jasmine and she was kind of the odd bird out. Can't wait to see more pics! And your stand is great!

Oh, and off subject but, I told Howie that I saw a baby goffin yesterday and before I even got to finish my sentence, he said- we can't have two of them! LOL. (Not that I would buy from a breeder anyway.)

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
It was good to see you on Sunday Michelle! I do think Jazzy was the odd bird out, which is understandable since the other two had already paired off. I'm really looking forward to starting the introduction process with her and Harley. I have such high hopes for both of them responding well to each other and helping the other. I'm glad someone likes my stand, Jazzy wants nothing to do with just yet, haha!

Haha well I can't say I blame Howie for his response considering how much of a handful Elvis can be. This is where I just keep bringing it up to Kim and she eventually gives in...tell him I'll start sending pictures of adoptables.

So yesterday I was trying to repair Kim's flat tire with a plug, since no garage around us had a tire that would fit her car. Figured the plug would at least hold temporarily until we could find a replacement tire. Well I was out back on the parking pad working on the car and it was not going well. Suffice it to say the plug was a complete failure and by removing the screw that was stuck in the tire I effectively opened the hole up wider and precluded any repairs short of putting on the spare. So as I fought with the jack and tire iron and tires I got a bit heated and angry. Apparently Jazzy heard me from inside and kept repeating "It's okay, its going to be okay. It's okay Woo, It's okay. It'll be okay". Kim came outside and said my bird told me its okay and that I should calm down haha. Smart girl :).

And yes, I have a feeling we will both have our hands full with her :). Wouldn't want it any other way though. At least I know shes a sucker for watermelon, haha!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting Jasmine.
That's so great Jake! It sounds like she's settling in really well- and quickly. I know our friend is also very happy that she's fitting in so well into your home. I don't think her other birds liked Jasmine and she was kind of the odd bird out. Can't wait to see more pics! And your stand is great!

Oh, and off subject but, I told Howie that I saw a baby goffin yesterday and before I even got to finish my sentence, he said- we can't have two of them! LOL. (Not that I would buy from a breeder anyway.)

Two Goffin's....hahahahaha. Elvis could teach the baby everything he/she needs to know.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Thanks! I am hoping the two will be good for each other in a flock like environment. Best case scenario is a walk in aviary for them, about 86”x62”. Planning on filling up all the space in the new house with upgraded cages :).

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations on Jasmine. She is a cutie.