• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jardine or Pionus or Caique as the new parrot to adopt?

HyumWakdu

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lee Jun Woo
Hello! I am a person who raises parrots in Korea. In Korea, not many people have large or rare parrots, so I sign up for information and write the first words. But I am not good at English, so I wrote the original text in Korean, translated it into Google, and modified the text a little. There may be a lot of errors. Please don't be offended by my poor English.

I'm thinking of adopting a new parrot, but I can't decide which species to choose. I'm still searching for Jardine, Pionus and Caique parrot, but I haven't found any difference that will help me decide one of the three.

I know that personality is really important to parrots. We're still collecting a lot of information, but there's too much conflicting information. So I would like to ask a question to anyone who can generalize a species based on experience.

Pionus: I've heard that they're known to be very docile and afraid. According to the information on the Internet, Pionus are lazy and less greedy. They are curious, but often say they tend to be independent and focused on their own business. I've heard that some people don't like to have contact with people around them or talk to them, and that they smell something that they might not like.

jardine: I hear they are steady, calm, talkative, screamless and intelligent. But some breeders have heard that African parrots are more likely to die as babies, and if that's true, it's a bad thing. (I wonder if it's true or if you have the knowledge to do so can significantly reduce your chances of dying.) They're very intelligent, but they're very likely to be one-person birds.

Caique: I've heard that they're energetic, inquisitive, playful and comical. But they are often noisy and need more affection than the other two birds. They have a combination of colors that are so beautiful, but his little body acts as a pretty big disadvantage to me.

Conclusion: I like Pionus because of its beautiful feather color. Jardine is a little bit more intelligent, tolerant of contacts, and likes it because of his slightly larger body size. I like Caique because he likes cute looks, good social skills, and contact very much. But most of all, I want to make a decision based on my personality. What's the difference between Pionus and Jardine and Caique behavior? I like contact, but I want an independent parrot while alone. Also, if possible, I want a large, but apartment-breeding parrot. Please help me make the final decision!

Below is a list of questions I've written to ask the breeder, and what I want. If you have time, please read it and let me know if there is a parrot that fits my question. I need information! Help!

Is this parrot social training available? I want a parrot that can stay safe with all the members of the family, not just a bird for one person.

What is the average weight and size of this parrot? There was always a hope for a big parrot. I want to adopt a huge parrot like Macaw, but it is difficult because of real problems such as space and noise.

Is this parrot quiet? It's okay if they don't shout often, even if they have a big voice. Is there a repeatable, steady noise?

Is this parrot more likely to die as a baby? The charm of a parrot is important, but I want a parrot to be with me for the rest of my life. I want to avoid parrots that are sensitive to stress and can easily become unhealthy.

Is this parrot good for contact? I don't want a lot of contact, but if it's weak and avoidable, I'll lose interest first.

Can this parrot spend time alone? I have to leave for a few hours a day. During that time, you should be a parrot that can enjoy your own time without being troubled by separation anxiety

Is this parrot good at talking? Speaking isn't something I care about, but being a good speaker is a good thing that no one can deny.

Can this parrot mix well with other parrots or animals? I plan to raise other animals in the future. I want to avoid birds that can be especially sensitive to other animals.

Can this parrot teach tricks? I want to strengthen my relationship with you through trick and make their life interesting.

Does this parrot generally have a bite tendency? Some parrots I've raised asked like they would kill me with a huge beak. I really don't want to relive that experience.

Can this parrot go out at an early age? I heard that some species are more likely to die when they are young. I would not do it if I put too much stress, but I still want to go for a walk from a young age for social training.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I only adopted my Jardine's at age 19, so I don't know a lot about the younger ages. I've heard though they do go through a nippy bratty stage for a while around 4 to 7 years.

Mine is not a single person bird but MANY of them are. He doesn't talk; he does like to imitate beeps and whistles though. That's most of his sounds is whistling, car alarms, microwave beeps, etc.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I've had my Jardine's since she was a baby, and she's now 6. She's never gone through a bratty stage. She's never bitten me, but she has tried on a few occasions. I'm just quicker at reading 'that look'!
She is 100% a Velcro bird. She will quietly sit on my shoulder to the point where I forget she's even there.
She will go to other members of my family, but prefers my youngest son and me. She's pretty quiet, but will call for me if she wants to come out.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
bump

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi there,
I have 2 Pionus and 2 caiques, so I am going to try to help you with those.

First, they are completely different personalities. Only a crazy person (that would be me) would want both, because you're usually drawn to the clowns or the quiet ones - not both.

Caiques are "on" all the time. They go-go-go. They chew through toys fast. They constantly get in trouble if a room isn't bird-proof. They squeal if you want them to do something and they don't want to. They are also smart and funny. But they exhaust me with their fun!

Pionus are very quiet, I think of them as "bookish" birds. Mine are not nearly as crazy about toys, and they don't use their claws to hold toys like the caiques do, although they will hold food that way. Pis are more apt to just hang out with you, happy to sit together. Don't have to be entertained.

Is this parrot social training available? I want a parrot that can stay safe with all the members of the family, not just a bird for one person.
One pionus goes to everyone. The 2nd is a one-person bird. The caiques will after they know you.

What is the average weight and size of this parrot? There was always a hope for a big parrot. I want to adopt a huge parrot like Macaw, but it is difficult because of real problems such as space and noise.
No these are medium, really fairly small birds.

Is this parrot quiet? It's okay if they don't shout often, even if they have a big voice. Is there a repeatable, steady noise?
This will depend on you, your household, and your willingness to train. And your family's willingness to cooperate. For example, if the parrot does a noise you don't like, but a family member always yells "shut up!" -- that's attention, even though it is negative attention it will reinforce the bad behavior.
Pionus are quieter than Caiques BUT all parrots are a little noisy, especially in the morning and evening. At my house:
Female Pionus yells morning and evening, and when she wants out. She believes she should be out all the time.
Male pionus is very, very quiet and only clucks if he makes noise.
Female caique YELLS (much louder than pionus) if she's been ignored too long.
Male caique whispers or talks quietly, or whistles.

Is this parrot more likely to die as a baby? The charm of a parrot is important, but I want a parrot to be with me for the rest of my life. I want to avoid parrots that are sensitive to stress and can easily become unhealthy.
I know nothing here? Mine are not weak. They didn't die.

Is this parrot good for contact? I don't want a lot of contact, but if it's weak and avoidable, I'll lose interest first.
This depends on the bird, its personality, and its history. If you get one that has been made scared by a silly human, it will take some work to help it learn.... what I mean is, if someone has grabbed it and it's afraid of hands for example, you will work slowly to teach it that hands are okay. If you get an older bird they almost always have some problem.
Going by my 4,
Female Pionus: loves to have scritches, flies to your shoulder.
Male pionus: only likes me, but doesn't want on me very often. Will accept pets sometimes.
Female Caique: Wants to be on human 24/7, very attached to people. Likes pets but is usually too busy to stop and let you pet her.
Male Caique: Never wants touched. He wants to perch on your hand, play with toys, touch your nose with his beak ("kiss"), sing together. He doesn't want you to pet him.

Can this parrot spend time alone? I have to leave for a few hours a day. During that time, you should be a parrot that can enjoy your own time without being troubled by separation anxiety
Any parrot should be okay with this, especially if you have good toys.

Is this parrot good at talking? Speaking isn't something I care about, but being a good speaker is a good thing that no one can deny.
Not great talkers, Caiques are a little better than Pis but don't have that many words. They do seem to understand logic though. Somewhat.

Can this parrot mix well with other parrots or animals? I plan to raise other animals in the future. I want to avoid birds that can be especially sensitive to other animals.
Mine don't like dogs.

Can this parrot teach tricks? I want to strengthen my relationship with you through trick and make their life interesting.
Yes! All birds, even small ones can learn tricks. This is a great thing to do.

Does this parrot generally have a bite tendency? Some parrots I've raised asked like they would kill me with a huge beak. I really don't want to relive that experience.
Then I would not advise a large bird. Pionus and caiques both CAN and WILL bite. After you learn their body language and respect what they like/don't like, you will not get bitten so much. I haven't had a bite in months. I have had warning pinches though.

Can this parrot go out at an early age? I heard that some species are more likely to die when they are young. I would not do it if I put too much stress, but I still want to go for a walk from a young age for social training.
They love it! The more they get out early, the more they will enjoy it.

~~Hope this helps! Good luck.~~

HyumWakdu

Real Name
Lee Jun Woo
What a kind people here! Thank you very much for your kind reply. I've posted this question in different communities in different countries and I've been able to decide based on that information. I finally decided to adopt Jardine. Let's get ready to welcome a new family! Thank you all in Korean 감사합니다 여러분 좋은하루 되세요~!

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That's great! You will love Jardine's!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What a kind people here! Thank you very much for your kind reply. I've posted this question in different communities in different countries and I've been able to decide based on that information. I finally decided to adopt Jardine. Let's get ready to welcome a new family! Thank you all in Korean 감사합니다 여러분 좋은하루 되세요~!
Make sure to post some photos!

HyumWakdu

Real Name
Lee Jun Woo
Sure. It'll take a while to adopt, but I'll post the photos right away. Thanks!