• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jardine’s - should males be avoided?

DinoSam

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all,

I’ve fallen for a little male Jardine’s at a local shop. He’s about 3 months old and really sweet.

My main concern is that I’ve been reading up on the species and it seems like while they are all a bit stubborn, the males in particular can turn violent during puberty/mating season. As a first timer, should I avoid taking him home? Can I minimize the hormonal rage through training or better socializing as a baby?

I have 4 kids, so a major factor in which species we want has been if they’re gentle and if they can be social with the whole family. Our front runners were green cheek conure, a meyer’s, or a pionus before I saw this little guy.

Also, any general tips/experiences with them would be much appreciated.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Mizzely just found a female that is working out well i tagged her for you. Welcome to AA!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I don't know anything about Jardine's . If you've ever watched the reality show Kate plus eight you would have seen they have a black capped conure that is handled by all of the children. The black cap is in the pyhurra family of conures as are the green cheeks. Many birds are not cuddly and prefer to do their own thing while others relish human attention. There's no guarantee in what personality traits any species will have and even birds who start out sweet can go through stages of biting and hormones. The six conures I have pretty much stay on an even keel in personality. Only one ( a male crimson belly that was given to me at around age two) is a biter... constantly. I only handle him with a perch to step up and to put him back in his cage after he's been out for a while. I do have a black cap who loves attention, loves to be held and lean on us or lay on us but he doesn't like to be pet. All birds need great supervision while they are out of the cage. Especially the smaller ones as they are either accidentally stepped on if they happen to go to the floor and no one notices or another family pet gets a hold of it.
Take your time to study each species you have an interest in, read about the ones that people here have as companion birds and maybe consider an adult bird that needs a home and is fairly established in personality. Some birds do go through changes ... sweet to mean and back to sweet again. You have to learn to take the good with the bad... they live a long time! :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have no experience with Jardines babies, but I have experience with Quaker and green cheek babies. I personally, with a 3 year old child myself, don't adopt babies anymore. My Jardines is 19 and well past the baby stage and is a sweetheart. I have heard that Jardines do have a rough puberty stage, and if it's even equal to my Quaker and conure were - no thank you! Hormonal babies are nippy, stubborn, and can change allegiances in the blink of an eye! Not something I want around my child.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you want to avoid the worst of a bird's hormonal years, I'd avoid getting a baby and adopt a mature older bird who's gone through puberty already and is (somewhat) less of a brat. Males of any species can be aggressive and very territorial during the mating season, though, not just Jardine's.