• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jail break!!!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
So how many times have your birds broken out of their homes while at work, etc.? Lets exclude cases of say aging or broken cages. Can everyone please share some stories of sneaky/crafty fids that managed to work locks/latches/food doors and escape to then terrorize the house while you were away. Lets also exclude the really cheap basic cages from this question. Of the nicer cages out there, what latch styles have you found to be ineffective or troublesome for crafty fids? Still searching for my first cage and there are lots of different locking front and food doors. Love to hear everyone's stories to avoid issues.

Thanks everyone!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Echo's my little escape artist. He has broken out of my SS Avain Adventure cage numerous times. He has gone out feeders doors and has broken the little opening where you can put a breeder box in. I had to put locks on breeder box opening. Thankfully he's now in cage he rarely gets out of. I'm not sure how exactly to describe it. But can post pictures of how it locks if you like :)

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
I love kings cages new locks and latches on their cages. Especially the feeder door locks. On my old cage I had to add all kinds of things to keep my sneaky bare eyed inside. He was excellent at figuring out how to open doors.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yes please
Here's the AA front door. Its simple and works really well. I wish they had the same thing on the feeder doors

20170608_155938.jpg

Here's the front door lock. What's nice about is you have to lock to shut the door so I almost never forget.
20170608_160004.jpg 20170608_160024.jpg

Here's one of the s feeder doors 20170608_160151.jpg

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
Sure! Here is the feeder door locks and the door lock. I love how you can actually lock it by turning it to the left. Laylas current cage is an HQ dome top. It has the same exact feeder door locks as the kings but a little different lock for the door. I bought the matching cage from Kings cages for our new addition simply because the quality of those latches and locks and the cage itself.

Attachments

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The biggest problem have with Echo's new cage is the lock is hard to clean

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
There is the one time Mo was out of the cage when I got home and everything was still locked. He hasn't done it since but...:eeeek:

Last edited:

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Sounds like its inevitable. Eventually all fids find a way out of their cage and have a little adventure :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The only cages any of mine have escaped from were their baby cages, which had simple guillotine style feeder doors and even then, only the baby Hahns could manage it. He could do it easily. Putting a toy quick lock thingy there solved the problem. That probably would not solve it with a mechanically minded bird, like a cockatoo. None of mine have managed to escape from their adult cages (Featherland SS).

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
image.jpeg

Joey undid the nut and bolt on the nest box panel.

Rolanda

I think you cursed me... Got home today and Beaks was sitting on the big Boing OUTSIDE of his cage! He was looking at me like nothing was wrong... and what did he say? "Beaksey, What are you doin'?" . Someone (yes, I feed them) didn't latch the food door. In my defense the hubby & kid do the water an houfr later and they didn't notice!