• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jaden is escaping

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know how he's doing it or if I'm not closing the door all the way but I've found one of Jaden's food doors opened a few times with him climbing on the outside of his cage. Luckily I was home each time because he is downstairs and so are the dogs although they are crated when I am not home. However, when he was in his previous cage he removed the seed guard, pushed out the dishes and I found him sitting on top of the dog's crate. Sweet dog, though, very protective of the birds but it still scared me. I always check and double check the doors so I can't figure out what's going on or how he would open an AA Loro door. It's always the same door that is opened except for the one time he removed the breeder door.
He had unscrewed that so I screwed it back on extra tight. I can't figure this one out, though. I see him pushing on the door but he shouldn't be able to move the latch.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I can see you might not have latched it properly once, but if it has happened several times, it must be him getting out somehow. Time for a nanny cam, maybe? ;)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was in the dining room and his cage is across from where I was sitting. I got up and passed his cage and immediately saw that he was out and one of my dogs was next to me and the dog door was opened. Grabbed Caleb, put him in his crate and closed the dog door and then got Jaden back in his cage. I'm watching him (semi hidden by computer monitor) and every now and then he starts fooling with the door. Still don't see how he could open it from the inside.
I have a Blink camera. Will have to find it and set it up.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
What kind of bird is he?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I was in the dining room and his cage is across from where I was sitting. I got up and passed his cage and immediately saw that he was out and one of my dogs was next to me and the dog door was opened. Grabbed Caleb, put him in his crate and closed the dog door and then got Jaden back in his cage. I'm watching him (semi hidden by computer monitor) and every now and then he starts fooling with the door. Still don't see how he could open it from the inside.
I have a Blink camera. Will have to find it and set it up.
They are too smart for their own good. My two gcc cages each have a sleep tent and a nestbox since some prefer to sleep in the box and others in the tent. I ended up having to put weights on top of the nestboxes because the little stinkers had figured out how to slide their nestbox doors open and were getting out that way. ALL, I repeat ALL, the other doors on both cages have ties or those screw shut links on them. Two of my Quakers' cages have mini-padlocks on them and the rest are wired or zip tied shut.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Dusky conure. He keeps moving his food dish up and down. He does that often that shouldn't cause the door to open.
Had to wire some of the gccs food bowl doors or just put locking bowls on them which makes the doors too heavy to open. Talk about out-thinking a bird.

:watching: The gccs are also great at pitching any hanging food bowls they can remove from the cage sides. :madwife: Which means I can fill up bowls, put them in the cage and literally listen to the little monsters tossing the bowls. :shake: :slapfight::yelling:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
The nice part about the locking bowls is that the butterfly nut is on the outside of the cage as are the bath and water bowl hardware. :bash: I'm beginning to feel as if I'm practicing to move to New Zealand and live with keas ...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are too smart for their own good. My two gcc cages each have a sleep tent and a nestbox since some prefer to sleep in the box and others in the tent. I ended up having to put weights on top of the nestboxes because the little stinkers had figured out how to slide their nestbox doors open and were getting out that way. ALL, I repeat ALL, the other doors on both cages have ties or those screw shut links on them. Two of my Quakers' cages have mini-padlocks on them and the rest are wired or zip tied shut.
They really are too smart. Lucy and Ricky would get out of their nest box. I had to but a bungie cord around it. I've gone the padlock route with other birds and have used extra strong transparent duct tape to secure lift up seed guards.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
My two Lovebirds have discovered that when I'm cage cleaning and I remove the grate on the bottom of the cage there is about a one and a half inch gap that they can slip through. So when I am cleaning the grate in the sink and I hear everything get real quiet I know they are on the bottom of the cage plotting their escape. It's no big deal because they get to be out anyways, but somehow escaping through a crack seems way more fun than when I just leave their door open. LOL

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Pistachio discovered one of the feeder doors had more give then the others and was able to squeeze his way out. That little bugger even knew to freeze when my husband looked in their direction so he wouldn't draw attention. :cool: My husband said he looked over once because he thought he saw movement and Pistachio was hanging on the side of the cage just looking at him through the bars and the next time he looked up, "Stachi was hanging on the cage looking at him the same way but there were no bars between them! :roflmao: He put him back in and recorded his next escape for me and secured the door immediately after.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've posted this before but....I had three 4 month old red-bellied parrots push the front of their tray out and then escape from the opening in the back where the cage overhung a nightstand. I came home to work to find them missing, freaked out, but then calmed down and saw two tails behind the vertical blinds of the sliding glass door. They were looking outside. I found the other one in the main bird room fast asleep under another bird's cage. A friend of mine put a latch in front of the tray so they could no longer push it out.