• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Jacob is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Herdis
Last night Jacob was unusually quiet and seemed tired. This morning I noticed him vomiting and looked in his cage and saw 2 other vomits on the cage floor from last night. He was tired, quiet and just not him usual spunky self. He was thirsty and drank allot of water but vomited it soon after. He didn't want anything to eat, not even sunflower seeds. I called the local vet but she told me that she doesn't know anything about birds but gave me the name of the animal hospital where the only vet in the country that knows anything about birds works. I called the hospital and talked to the vet. She thinks Jacob has a swelling in the crop or an infection in the crop. She told me not to give him any fresh food or sticky food because that would stick to the crop and make things worse. She told be to give him a weaning formula or something similar. I told her I have harrisons pellets and she told me that harrisons mash would be good and I should add some berry juice (don't know the english name) to it. Both to make it taste better and that it had vitamins that are easily digested by birds. She also told me to make oatmeal broth and give Jacob to drink and make sure he gets at least 25 ml a day of fluids. She said that usually antibiotics are not necessary but she is mailing me some just in case and also pro biotics. But that wont arrive until monday. She told me to put the pro biotics in his drinking water and continue that until he's back to his normal self. Not to stop when he stops vomiting but continue until he's behaving normaly, being a busybody and loud (her words). She also told me to keep him warm, put him in a room that I can heat up easily, preferably 29°C. The bathroom would be good because then I could use the steam to warm up the room and the moisture would be good for Jacob.

I am to call her on monday if there is no change and Jacob isn't feeling better. Then we might start with antibiotics. I'm so worried :sad7: I've been absent minded at work, wishing I could just go home and take care of my baby and do all the things the vet told me. I had to go out and take some fish samples so I didn't manage to go home in my lunch brake like usual. My boyfriend went home and told me that Jacob drank some water and didn't vomit but seemed tired. I have the heating on full blast so it was warm in the apartment he said, about 25°C.

I just hope Jacob starts feeling better because there is no one here to take a smear from the crop and test for bacteria. I would have to fly with Jacob to the city where the animal hospital is. :(

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
:omg:
I am sorry!!
You must feel so helpless.
Maybe someone with experience with this will have something to add to what you are already doing.
Last night Jacob was unusually quiet and seemed tired. This morning I noticed him vomiting and looked in his cage and saw 2 other vomits on the cage floor from last night. He was tired, quiet and just not him usual spunky self. He was thirsty and drank allot of water but vomited it soon after. He didn't want anything to eat, not even sunflower seeds. I called the local vet but she told me that she doesn't know anything about birds but gave me the name of the animal hospital where the only vet in the country that knows anything about birds works. I called the hospital and talked to the vet. She thinks Jacob has a swelling in the crop or an infection in the crop. She told me not to give him any fresh food or sticky food because that would stick to the crop and make things worse. She told be to give him a weaning formula or something similar. I told her I have harrisons pellets and she told me that harrisons mash would be good and I should add some berry juice (don't know the english name) to it. Both to make it taste better and that it had vitamins that are easily digested by birds. She also told me to make oatmeal broth and give Jacob to drink and make sure he gets at least 25 ml a day of fluids. She said that usually antibiotics are not necessary but she is mailing me some just in case and also pro biotics. But that wont arrive until monday. She told me to put the pro biotics in his drinking water and continue that until he's back to his normal self. Not to stop when he stops vomiting but continue until he's behaving normaly, being a busybody and loud (her words). She also told me to keep him warm, put him in a room that I can heat up easily, preferably 29°C. The bathroom would be good because then I could use the steam to warm up the room and the moisture would be good for Jacob.

I am to call her on monday if there is no change and Jacob isn't feeling better. Then we might start with antibiotics. I'm so worried :sad7: I've been absent minded at work, wishing I could just go home and take care of my baby and do all the things the vet told me. I had to go out and take some fish samples so I didn't manage to go home in my lunch brake like usual. My boyfriend went home and told me that Jacob drank some water and didn't vomit but seemed tired. I have the heating on full blast so it was warm in the apartment he said, about 25°C.

I just hope Jacob starts feeling better because there is no one here to take a smear from the crop and test for bacteria. I would have to fly with Jacob to the city where the animal hospital is. :(

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I'm so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine how scary it would be to have not vets that see birds around you. Do you have a heating pad? I would put him into a covered carrier with a heating pad underneath (on low or medium). He needs to rest and be warm.

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
:omg:
I am sorry!!
You must feel so helpless.
Maybe someone with experience with this will have something to add to what you are already doing.
I just started crying when the local vet told me there was nothing she could to, but thankfully she could direct me to someone else even though it was only a telephone consult. I'm just hoping it's nothing serious and he will start feeling better in a few days.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine how scary it would be to have not vets that see birds around you. Do you have a heating pad? I would put him into a covered carrier with a heating pad underneath (on low or medium). He needs to rest and be warm.
I don't have a heating pad, I don't even know where I could buy one... I do have pouch filled with cherry stones that you heat up in the microwave and it stays warm. I could wrap that in a towel if Jacob would want to snuggle up against it. I'm going to put him in his travel cage in the bathroom and keep it nice and warm in there so the environmental heat is around 29°C

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Do you have a gram scale? If not, you should buy one so that you can monitor his weight daily and see if he is maintaining or losing weight. This is vital information.

Also, I think it may be prudent to go ahead and book that flight for you to get to the bird vet on Monday. You can always cancel if you need to.

Did the vet give you a phone number where he/she can be reached over the weekend if need be? You may also want to see if the vet will give you his/her e-mail so that you can send photos of Jacob, his droppings, his vomits, etc. for the vet to review. If you are able to take video of Jacob and send to the vet, this may be helpful as well. Just a couple thoughts.....

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Can someone transfer this to 911? This sounds like an emergency especially since there are no avian vets in Iceland.

I don't know about the berry juice, but Bragg unfiltered apple cider helps as does Aloe detox. I also think that Gary uses Slippery Elm for disgestive upsets.

Is he pooing? Is Jacob a boy or a girl?

I am so sorry.

Ginger

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I moved this thread to 911 so more people see it and can help.

I am so sorry Jacob is sick... so many illnesses lately. I would focus on keeping him warm and hydrated. I hope he improves soon. :hug8:

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry that Jacob is sick. I would put a light on him in his own cage and cover three sides to keep the warmth in. Moving him or putting him in a new cage cage may cause un needed stress. I also recommend you do what Nestbox said and get the vets email and send photos. Make flight arrangements. Time is of the essence!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
oh gosh dear I sure hope you can get him to a vet...try apple cider vinegar to maybe kill the germs that he has...praying for him for sure:hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Yes try adding organic ACV like Braggs. Sounds like he might have a bacterial infection and the ACV will help. Squeeky kept getting infections as a baby that would cause him to throw up and the ACV was the only thing to help. Within half a day of offering it to him I noticed a difference. By the next day he was back to normal. Has never had another throwing up episode since then. Now I just give him ACV in his drinking water daily.

WARNING: This does not mean that this will work for every case nor does it mean you should substitute it for vet care.

Last edited:

Fommy

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rhonda
I agree with the ACV it needs to be the organic kind with Mother. Braggs ACV is also what I use. I would ask the Vet about it also. I hope Jacob get better soon.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
sending prayers for you and Jacob, Herdis, let us know how he is doing when you get home today.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Give Jacob scritches for me and hope he feels better soon :hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Herdis I know how stressful this can be, especially when you dont have resources to help. I would not put probiotics in his water. I dont think water is a good way to medicate our birds. Also if you are thinking this could be a yeast infection I would not give any kind of juice as the sugar will only add to the yeast problem. Do you have any unfiltered apple cider vinegar? Is there any vet there that does see birds? Try to create some extra warmth for Jacob whatever way you can. Please let us know how we can help you. :hug8:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Good Morning,

This is what I would do if this were one of my birds.

Keep him warm 85-87 degrees and keep him hydrated, use childrens apple or plain pedialyte mixed 50/50 with water.

For feeding and possible slow or sour crop. 1Tbsp un-sweetened applesauce, Harrison's ground in coffee grinder. If you have it add 1/8 tsp of the herb slippery elm, add 2 drops alcohol free herb echinacea if you have it. If you have a pet store that sells the probiotic Benebac, buy some and add a 1/8 tsp to the formula you are making.

For digestive problems you can mix 1tbsp un-sweetened applesauce with 1/8 tsp and feed to your bird. Do not feed or give drink when the bird is vomiting!

Does you birds mouth smell? Do the feces have any odor? If possible look in the birds mouth with a small penlight and check for white or cream colored plaque in the mouth and throat, there should be none.

Do your regular vet work on weekends? Asking as you may be able to have the avian vet call the antibiotics in to them and have them dispense to you if needed.

Like the other members have said, mix a few drops of ACV (Bragg brand) in oz of water and offer to your bird. ACV has antibacterial properties but does not act as fast as antibiotics.

Get a cell number from the avian vet should you need to call her on the weekend.

Please keep us posted.

gary

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Could Jacob be egg bound? Has s/he been DNA'd? Has s/he been pooing?

Ginger

Status
Not open for further replies.