• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jacko Update---xanthomas/lipomas?

Grey_Moon

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone,

So as some of you may remember Jacko had a cancer scare in February.
Possible Cancer Diagnosis for Jacko....I'm gutted. | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Preliminary is all good and vets are confident it is a cyst.
Now that she has had some weeks to recover (vet team said there was no rush, and let her have ample time to recover) she will be headed back in May to get the cyst removed, have a tiny section of her kidney biopsied and then have pathology/labs run for both the cyst and biopsy.

I'm so nervous for her.

The other shocking bit from her CT scan was she apparently has multiple either xanthomas or lipomas under her skin and in her muscles on her chest/abdomen. Neither the vet or I expected that as we've never felt or seen anything on her exams or xrays.
They also discovered that she has had possible past hemorrhagic cysts or artery blockages in both kidneys but the strange thing is her kidneys have never shown signs of damage/stress in either her bloodwork or her physical appearance.

I don't know what's going on with my girl but geez she's sicker than we all thought she was.
Not much to be done about the kidney stuff right now until we head back into surgery and the vet can take a look, but I was wondering if there was something I could do for the xanthomas/lipomas?

Admittedly Jacko is/was a seed junkie but for the last 13 years she's been with me and certainly not been eating a seed-based diet. She's eaten a variety of pellets over the years but she only ever really liked Tropican or Harrisons (because of course, they both have sunflower seeds and peanuts). She's currently eating the new Tropican Alternative formula for older/'diet-challenged' birds as suggested by our regular (not the one who diagnosed the lipomas/xanthomas) vet.

I feel like I should switch her over to the low fat Roudybush to see if, long-term, that will help.
Thoughts? This is new territory for me.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor Jacko. I hope everything will be okay.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about the issues with Jacko.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My vet bought a CT Scanner in just the last year - they are wonderful. I wish they would get less expensive so more birds would get scans and find out what is really wrong with them. We didn't find any surprises with Jasper's CT Scan - she has a lot wrong with her but we knew it all from lots of vet care over the years.

I don't know if birds are like humans, but we can get along fine with 1/3 of our kidneys. Hope that all of the other problems are easily handled. Sounds like yo have a good vet.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so sorry to hear that Jacko is so sick. I hope the surgery goes well next month!
:sadhug2: