• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I've raised a musician!

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
Oof! been a long time since i've been on this forum! Things have been going absolutely wonderful with my bird! He has been *Officially* named pixel! (Because his beautiful feathers shine so brightly its like looking at a computer screen!) He has been moved to the living room. He got a new big cage. Also new toys+perches! Hand training has been going amazingly well too! We are also planning on getting him a companion bird! So a lot has been going well! But i have a question... As i said we got him new toys, He absolutely loves bells & so a lot of the toys we got him had little bells on them! but one of the toys was attached by a paper rope thing (Not really sure how to explain it lol) But he chewed the paper thing until the bell fell off! At first i was kind of disappointed. I took the bell out of the cage but then he started chasing after my hand & chirping at me, I rang the bell a few times & he responded super well to it! (It almost sounded like he was imitating it!) It was too cute! I put my hand back in the cage with the bell on it & He grabbed it and started ringing it.. Tapping it with his foot.. tapping it on the bars/perches... Making every sound possible with it... & most of all chewing on it! It was so sweet... He's never been this excited about a toy before, But since I'm super paranoid i was wondering if there was any danger to this? Its just a small bell you would find on any parakeet toys. But since chewing on it & throwing it around aren't really the intended purpose of it I'm kinda worried. I figured i should just ask just to be safe!:laugh::blinnie:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am glad that things are going well.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm not sure about the bell but maybe he would like some toys from Avian Stainless: Bit 'O Sass

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I know some of those small bells on toys have a clapper that is easy for a bird to twist and remove and I've read sometimes they get swallowed.
If you look hard you can see right at the top there is a slit that opens when twisted. I remove the clapper if I cannot easily remove the bell from a toy.
I would definitely check avian stainless for safer bells and toys that can be clanged (no bells).

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I would say that it depends on the bell. As was mentioned some birds do remove clappers from bells but many do not. Liberty style bells are the ones with clappers. If you do choose to use them you should make sure that the clapper is a solid clapper not the bent metal type (sharp edges). Below is an example of a liberty style bell, the clapper should not pose a danger and for a budgie this particular one is way to big to swallow.

il_570xN.873110435_7mux.jpg

Some budgie toys have jingle bell style bells which have little slits in them and the edges are sharp, if a toe or a tongue gets in their it can be a disaster. I would remove all of these type bells. This a jingle bell and it really should never be used for bird toys.

11775581.jpg

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
If you want to develop an expensive addiction to the most amazing jingly toys in the world, check out Welcome to Avian Stainless ~ Parrot Toys with Attitude

The nice thing is that while they are a little pricey even the ones sized for the smallest birds are fully welded for years of safe play. @Deejo just keeps coming out with adorable new things to keep us buying more!

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad your new little Pixel is doing so well :heart: