• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I've had it with this cage!!!

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I'm sorry about the toe. Glad you were there.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Glad you were there to help him out.

I have a thing about cages and have found most of the time cheaper cages are just not all that safelt built. I go for the Kings and HQ cages as I find them to be well made and thought out as far as use and safety goes.

I have one of these and it has served well over the years It's an HQ I got for Streak 15 years ago. Nice size at 26" x 20" x 34" not counting stand with 1/2" car spacing.

HQ Pet Cages - Medium Cages/GA82620A

The King Cages version of the same cage but has a flip down flight door and breeder box door, cost is a fair amount higher though. This is the Cage Cheddar calls home right now.

King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More

While not as pretty a flight cage offers more room for the buck but you do give up some features that are nice to have, feeder doors and seed guards are not on a lot of these. That said Riti is in a Fight cage I got from a friend and the space was just the ticket from here.

Here's if very much like this one from Kinks Cages.

King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More

What ever you decide to go with take time to look for any welding tags (sometimes the welding wire ends are left on the cage) and these can cause injuries. Shape edges as well. You know about "Toe Traps" but most of these don't really have any. I take the time to wash the cage before I put it together as that way I go over it closely.

I"d replace all the perches they come with of course for real branches and I find the bowls most ship with are way too big so I end up replacing them as well even though it means drill a mounting hole often.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd be careful with the cages that have those doors at the top that fan out (first two images). There have been reports of many people finding their birds trapped between both doors and strangling themselves. It looks harmless but to me, it's an accident waiting to happen. Just something to consider. Also, if you do go with that style cage, I'd make sure the doors were fashioned permanently shut just to avoid any accidents.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I've never had a problem with these two cages, the doors are too heavy for them to move for one thing and I use a perch that I notched to hold the top doors open, it goes from one to the other the the notches keep it firmly in place.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I'm sorry to hear that I'm sure his next cage will be better

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
So glad you found this out before an injury occurred! Makes me angry that the manufacturers sometimes overlook the safety of our beloved creatures. ::: sigh::: Glad we are vigilant in warning each other about the pitfalls here.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
No cage is perfect, you need to know your birds and what they are likely to do. I've never had a problem, but I have small birds that lack the strength to open the top doors. I keep the door latched when closed and I have cut perches to wedge the doors open when not closed. I'm not saying that there couldn't be problems but you have to keep and eye on things. Streak love the Comfy Perches but I'd NEVER put on in his cage. I did once, and only once. I got home from work and he'd chewed to a big tangled mess, wonder he didn't get tangled up in it. There are cages with the flat top close to the same size of those two or the Flight cage works well for Riti.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Last edited:

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Thanks, guys. I'm still looking.
What I want is;
1. Stand.
2. One or two doors not 5 like the above one has. Too many doors. I don't want doors for every feeder unless they lock down.
3. Flat top.
4. Lower shelf for newspapers.
5. Apartment size. 20x20 inches or 36x36 at most.

I'm considering this one. It has the things I'm looking for... two feed doors that lock a stand a flat top and a lower shelf for newspapers.
I don't see any 'toe catchers' either.
Looks good for $70.
Amazon.com : 20-Inch Open and Close Plays Top Parrot Lovebird Cockatiel Cockatiels Parakeets Cage WITH Stainless Steel Cups with Stand, Black Vein : Pet Supplies

Last edited:

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Check out the flight cages Rick, at the price you'd have a hard time beating it and even if the breeder doors don't lock a pear link will fix that. The one Peachface posted it the one I like. I kind of like that there are no feeder doors as I can put the cups where I want and as many as I need. Plus I can get the size cups I want and if you go to a Bird Fair there'll likely be a vender selling the SS bowls cheap, take a small magnet to check if they really are SS, magnets will NOT stick to good SS ( T304 or T316, are the good stuff will not rust as they are food and medical grade) Might even find the cage there at a good price, I got the one the Tiels are in years ago at a Fair for about $120.00 less than the local store would sell it to me for.

New Large Wrought Iron Flight Canary Bird Cage With Removable Rolling Stand-148 | eBay

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also, just a consideration, have you thought about a Critter Nation cage? That's what I have Java in. The top is flat, wider than it is tall and has all horizontal bars. There aren't any feeder doors because the cage is meant for ferrets and rodents but there are feeder trays that can be installed if you have a pair of bolt cutters. Also, there is no way for the bird to access the lock from within the cage.
Just something I wanted to mention. There would be more than enough room for a conure.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Mark that one has 4 unlockable feed doors on it.

Last edited:

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Didn't catch that Rick. But there are lots of companies making Flight Cages so you can find pretty much what you want.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
My baby just got his toe caught in this cage again. I'm glad I was sitting right there when it happened. This is the third time he's gotten his toe caught in the wedges on this cage.
Please don't but this cage!!!

You & Me Cockatiel Large Standing Cage | Petco

Amazon.com : You & Me Standing Cockatiel Cage : Pet Supplies

No injuries this time but I'm buying another cage. This one is far too dangerous for birds.
I'm sorry that your faby got his foot caught again. Contact Amazon (if you got it from them) and complain and ask to return the item. If it didn't come through Amazon, find the FB page for the manufacturer and a) message them; if that doesn't work or they don't reply, then b) post publicly on their FB page. Make a comment on BBB if you still don't have a resolution to your problem. Be polite, be direct and (no matter what you think of somebody's mother) do not get personal.

Nowadays public forums can be more damaging than verbal word of mouth. The wonderful web extends from one corner of the earth to the other.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Also, just a consideration, have you thought about a Critter Nation cage? That's what I have Java in. The top is flat, wider than it is tall and has all horizontal bars. There aren't any feeder doors because the cage is meant for ferrets and rodents but there are feeder trays that can be installed if you have a pair of bolt cutters. Also, there is no way for the bird to access the lock from within the cage.
Just something I wanted to mention. There would be more than enough room for a conure.
I love the Critter Nation cages and I have 2. A single and a double and my handicapped Quakers and tiels love both cages because they have ramps, platforms and ladders that all the fids can use. The platforms and ladders can be rearranged at any time.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thought I would chime in here, the new cage I purchased has a problem, the door. The screws are working themselves out. The first time is when I was putting her to bed, she was at the top of the cage door and when I lifted the door to close it the screw came out from the right side, it could have killed Valentine if I hadnt caught it. The second time was more recently. I was putting the drop down door up, she was inside her cage, when the screw came out from the middle and I caught the door before it fell on top of the cage door. I have been in touch with the company, they sent new screws, didnt work, this last I emailed them about the new problem I was told 'they dont know what to do because no one else has had that problem but they will look into it and see if anyone has suggestions. Now I'm real scared, the left screw and the middle screw worked themselves out, what about the left side of the door????? (the drop down door)

Last edited: