• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Ivan is very sick and vets don't know what's wrong! He needs our help!

georgieporgie

Moving in
Before you take him to a sanctuary, get the bornavirus test done. They need to know if he's borna positive so they don't put him in with the other birds. Seriously, bornavirus can mean not much or it can mean death. Its a big unknown in the avian community. If your bird is having symptoms already, then there are likely problems down the road. This may not be something that is fixable with love and good diet. I would say, keep him if you honestly feel you can do him justice with good vet care. If you can't provide him with good vet care, then he needs to go to someone else that can. Was the vet concerned with the weak legs? Is that why they recommended a bornavirus check or was it just because they do it with all their birds?
i really do want to get him the test. and yes she was concerned abt his weak legs

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
i really do want to get him the test. and yes she was concerned abt his weak legs
Have you contacted PetSmart about this? Because they are liable for his care if you take him back before the return date expires. Ask for him to be taken to their vet then they will have to pay for thr cost at least that's how it is around the stores I've been to. They treat the bird and then return it. I know all stores act differently but I recently knew someone who bought a bird that was sick and she returned it to the store so it could get treatment. The store called her when the bird felt better.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keep in mind, a test is not a cure. If the test is positive, then you have a life time of meds for this bird to pay for. If this bird is weak, there really should be more tests done to see if it is or is not bornavirus. Sometimes a bird can have bornavirus but the cause of their problems is something else that you need more testing for. If this were my bird, I'd do a blood panel, culture and sensitivity, chlamydia, PBFD and the bornavirus test. Possibly also an x-ray and polyoma virus test. This is if I wanted to keep the bird. Otherwise, I'd just return it to petsmart rather than trying to quarantine a sick bird for the rest of its life when I have other birds that I don't want to catch its illness.
If this is your only bird and you don't have to worry about it giving a disease to another healthy bird, and you have money and want to be compassionate, then keep it and treat it with good vet care for whatever it has left in life. If you can't afford vet care, then you'd be as guilty as anyone for sitting and watching a bird die while nothing is done.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My local Petsmart takes sick birds to the vet for testing and treatment.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Did they do a gram stain for bacterial infection? Also, I would have a polyoma test done. Polyoma in babies is often deadly. I just read on another board that someone has two baby conures and one tested is positive. Don't assume ABV...and it isn't a death sentence. I have known people that have a negative and then a positive...I've had two negatives on one of my kids and Dr. O still thinks it will come back positive. I agree though, if you do have a positive kid, you just need to be proactive in care in case their immune system isn't working as well as it should. Good vetting is important at this point regardless as he is showing symptoms of something. He may need extra checks each year.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Take the bird back before time runs out, if not, you will be putting your other birds in danger IF he has something. You have a lot of emotions going on, which I understand, but let the store handle this, not you.