1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Ivan is very sick and vets don't know what's wrong! He needs our help!

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by twrigles05, 9/29/17.

1. twrigles05

twrigles05 Moving in

I have an update.

The 4th vet (Dr. Strunk at Center for Avian and Exotic Animal Medicince in Bothell, WA) saw Ivan and tested him for Asper, Heavy Metal Toxicity, and Fecal Float for Parasites. The good news is.........they were all negative!

The bad news is.....we still don't know whats wrong with Ivan. That's partly why I haven't updated this thread [​IMG] Still at square one and not sure what to do. After the holidays, I'm going to take Ivan back to the vet and do a crop swab since his crop is still swollen and he keeps plucking that area. Worth a try.

Anyways, thanks again everyone for your concern and thoughts. Keep Ivan in your prayers and I will definitely update this again if I ever find out the diagnosis and/or cure to what's wrong with Ivan.

Alien J likes this.
  2. carkam

carkam Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

I lost my sweet boy to am unknown illness. I had asked if it could be aspergillosis and was told no by two vets. My second bird has been ill for over a year and they couldn't find what was wrong. He was diagnosed with heart disease and put on heart medication and an antibiotic spent two nights in the hospital and will see his vet today. They called yesterday and after reading his radiographs they think it is aspergillosis! I had asked about it several times when my other bird was still living. This is very scary and I don't know why they would get it. I clean and disenfected their cages daily, clean water no visible mold but I live in the Seattle area so it is not unusual. How do I prevent it?

Familyof12 and jmfleish like this.
  3. parrotluv

parrotluv Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

I am so sorry for your loss of Ivan.

4. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! Evil Villain

I think and hope Ivan is still around. There have been no updates lately. Hope that @twrigles05 will update us. The post above yours is about another bird.

Familyof12 and DQTimnehs like this.
  5. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! Evil Villain

So sorry about the loss of your bird. Hope that your other bird will be OK. Did they put him on medication? Do you feed peanuts or any other tree nuts such as pistachios?

6. jmfleish

jmfleish Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Premium Vendor Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Evil Villain

Jen
    I'm so sorry about Ivan. I hope that they can figure out what's going on with your other bird. They should be able to rule out asper with Ivan but that doesn't help you with your current bird. I honestly don't know what to tell you at this point. Asper is treatable but it's generally something you treat lifelong unless you catch it early. My thoughts are with you and your family.

7. webchirp

webchirp Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative Vendor

Chandra
    Since he has tested positive for ABV, I would ask your vet to consult with Dr. Orosz. How long did he stay on the Celebrex? That is a go to med for birds with ABV that have a set back in health. Also, Marie at Feathered Friends has worked with many birds that have tested positive or those with other medical issues. If you are on Facebook, I can add you to a specialized group that you can bounce questions to. I wouldn't ignore the test result but agree that it may not turn into PDD if he doesn't have PDD...but it is an indicator to take a look at healthwise.

8. DQTimnehs

DQTimnehs Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs! Administrator Auction Director Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Evil Villain

Jennifer

That was not the OP that lost their bird to asper. So not Ivan.

Familyof12 likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)