• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

It's Kiwi's 8th adoption day and "18th" birthday!!!

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Today is Kiwi's 8th adoption day! We will never know his actual age or hatch day, but we were told he was "about 10" when we adopted him, so we counted him as an even 10 and have gone up from there. He may now be a "legal adult", but he will always be my special little guy! Celebrations began this morning with a yummy dish of warm mash and lots of orange slices, with oranges being one of his favorite fruits. He also got an abundance of various nuts in which to forage in his "new" toys. The money fairy kinda passed us over this year, so unlike years past, no fancy new toys or 'gadgets', but I did make him some "new" designs out of toy parts we already had and hung up a bunch of his favorite rattles. I also re-arranged his upper perches and swing.

In all the years we have had Kiwi, both before and after he was socialized and trained, one trait this bird has always possessed is utter fearlessness! While many birds are pretty traumatized by a cage re-arrange or need time to adjust to a new toy, one must practically beat Kiwi off with a stick to even be able to hang new things or re-do the cage. He is just so curious and intrigued and excited by everything which enters his domain. I barely got my hand out of the cage before the impatient little beastie barged in to check out the new layout and get down to he business of playing with his new toys. He's such a character and I love him so very much!

I typically find a variety of vile produce in my dish which I am expected to eat (grumble grumble), but this morning I got nothing but oranges! Woohoo!

My 'new' toys!

(filled with paper and beads and baubles he likes to play with)

These toys MUST be played with IMMEDIATELY!!!

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
Happy everything to you and your sweetheart Kiwi!! That is one super lucky "legal eagle" :wideyed::xflove: those toys are awesome!:D

Wishing many more years of joy and love!:heart:

:hug8:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:congrats5:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Awww. Looks like he is really enjoying his special day. Happy Gotcha Day/Birthday! :starshower1:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:congrats5::greet6:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5: Happy Gotch Day! He's so cute, and not spoiled at all!:lol:Hope you have many more happy years together. You can tell he is very happy and well loved!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Happy 8 years together to you and Kiwi!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Happy 8th Gotcha Day....and 18th birthday, Kiwi!

:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:....Gotcha-day dancing bananas...

:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:

:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:...birthday dancing bananas...

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Happy Gotcha Day! :bounce7::cakegirl::bounce7:

Love all the pics! :giveme5:

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
@Kiwibird08 Question about the clear plastic ball, it looks like it has a small ball inside it and another small clear ball below it.
Lucy has one like the bigger one and it is orange, she attacks it viciously, does Kiwi do that to those?
When I say she attacks it, she really goes after it like she is mad at it. I assume its her way of playing with it
because she laughs too. Was just wondering if Kiwi is like that with those.

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
@Kiwibird08 Question about the clear plastic ball, it looks like it has a small ball inside it and another small clear ball below it.
Lucy has one like the bigger one and it is orange, she attacks it viciously, does Kiwi do that to those?
When I say she attacks it, she really goes after it like she is mad at it. I assume its her way of playing with it
because she laughs too. Was just wondering if Kiwi is like that with those.
I only have 2 of those balls because I ordered the big one by mistake thinking it would be much smaller, then ordered the smaller one (and hated both for treats, holes are too big, so now I just put little doodads in them he likes to pull out and play with:rolleyes:). They are not always connected like that either, just needed a big toy for that corner so I hooked them up. Kiwi is really gentle with his toys actually and while he loves playing, it is very gentle and nondestructive playing (case in point, we have wood blocks and beads I've been washing and recycling into new toys for as long as we've had him with hardly a nibble mark on them:jawdrop1:).

The big ball was sent to my dads cockatoo at one point, and I know he beat it up/attacked it. My mom put it on the grate of his cage without a chain and let him roll it around. Knowing his habits, I'm shocked he didn't figure out how to break it! Then he lost interest so my mom sent it back:p They are certainly all individuals when it comes to playing!