• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

it's growing

katebf38

Sprinting down the street

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Feel better Roxie! That boo boo will hurt, but it is from a point of love! You are a sweetie pie and a half and I am so happy you are loved.

Sending more good vibes! :hug8:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
We picked Roxie up at 2, she's been home for a little bit. She's being a big attention hog, but that's ok :) The thing they took out is huge, they'll send it out for biopsy and it'll take 2 weeks or so to come back.

She's being kept in the dining room to minimize movement. Poor baby has her whole leg in a cast. We had to break out the ramp we made for Tink so Roxie can go outside without having to go down stairs.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
She's adorable and looks like a sweetheart, wow that's a heck of a cast but I'm glad she's home and everything seems to have gone well.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
We put a sock on her cast to keep it from getting dirty until she goes back to get it changed (on Monday). Trying to convince Dad we should get lots of different color socks, lol.

Roxie is in pain and crying but she can't have any more pain meds tonight. Her relaxation med finally kicked in and she's sleeping.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
We tried to get her outside, I don't think she understands that it's ok to pee in the front yard, whenever she goes out it's always in the backyard. But walking her down the driveway wouldn't be good for her leg, so she'll have to deal. After we came in she promptly got on dad's bed and is not moving for a darn thing. Lol. She looked at dad like "You know you aren't gonna boot me off of here" lol.

ALso I went out barefoot (as I don't have house shoes) and my feet are freezing cold, thanks to the concrete. Lol.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I'm so glad she is done with the surgery, and that you were able to take care of this before it got worse, or larger! Bless her heart, I feel so badly for her being in pain, but she will be her old self soon I hope. Sending big hugs, she is such a beautiful girl! :heart:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Today she's in much better spirits, she even stole a sock! lol. We cut the bottom off an ice tea bottle, making a little bootie for her cast when she goes out.

We finally got her outside last night, she peed in the front yard. This morning when we got her out she wouldn't do anything in the front yard, so we walked her down the ramp on the front stairs, up the small ramp in the car, drove about 40 feet down the driveway, walked her down the ramp from the car, and into the yard where she finally did her business. About time!

She's also starting to figure out that she shouldn't put weight on her leg, so she'll drag it along and lift it off the ground when she can. She wanted to walk down the street today and she tried to pull a toy out of her wagon in the yard, so I think she's feeling better.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That's really great! It's awesome that shes feeling better! You take really good care of her, she's lucky to have you! I hope that she continues to heal just as great!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Welp, she pooped a tiny bit on her bed and she started barking, so we took her outside.

Dad insisted on walking her down the drive, even though the vet said to limit activity as much as possible. So we got to the backyard, Roxie sat down and then when dad started pulling on her leash she fell over. Like a fainting goat, just *boom*. So dad had to lift her up, as she was pawing at him. Then apparently learning nothing he did it again and she fell over again. I think the walking is just too much for her, she's still hurting and adjusting for her leg.

So she didn't do anything in back, so we walked her back up the drive. Dad stood in the front yard for too long, so Roxie laid down (which is what she usually does if you stand in one spot for too long) and when dad tried to pick her up she growled and started kicking him (which is also standard Roxie behavior).

So I guess if she goes in the house, she goes in the house.

On the bright side she ate a roly-poly she found on the front porch and also got up from laying down inside specifically to steal a sock. So there's that. She waved her casted leg menacingly at me when I came after her to get the sock back. She's so cute.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So yesterday we went into the vet to have Roxie's bandages changed. The biopsy isn't back yet, but the preliminary says it's just calcium. I'm glad they're taking their time with the biopsy to make sure they don't miss anything.

The vet said that he took out everything. He had to do a special suture, I forget what he called it. But it's basically one big cut on the elbow with a small cut on each side, so he could pull the skin shut over the elbow. He says the big cut has healed but the small ones haven't yet.

Roxie has adapted very well, she's going back to playing with toys in her usual way, stealing socks and being a general gremlin. She's also learned not to put weight on her leg- which is good. She lifts it off the ground when she walks or stands. She also likes to wave her arm at me when she's displeased. Silly girl.

So we go back in to have bandages changed on Monday or Tuesday, hopefully by then the cuts will have closed and she'll be free to run again. I can tell she really wants to. lol

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Wow, that's a relief! I'm glad she's acting pretty normal, hopefully it was just calcium, that's great that they're being thorough though!

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Thanks for all the updates on Roxie.........I think she is going to be fine as soon as it all heals up. My dogs always have a really rough 24 hours after surgery because the anesthesia makes them feel so odd and uncomfortable in addition to any pain.