• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures It's been a while, so... Meet my new baby

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Well, I always wanted a conure, buuut I wasn't a fan of pineapples... Until this lil gal found her way home.
RDT_20190804_1541295863498049925366166.jpg

My mother rescued Kiki from a bunch of children who were trying to kill her, and I had to rush to pick her up from the schoolyard. She had flown there looking for help, got caught in a fence at the school my mom works at, and the sixth graders were trying to hit her with a soccer ball.

After looking for her owner for several months (no microchip, we checked) and having to deal with harassment from a co-worker who found out how expensive conures are, she's mine. That's a looong story, but to make it brief, this woman who had no idea what a conure was suddenly had a friend who bred conures and her breeder said she looked like a missing parrot.

They looked nothing alike, even to the family, but she kept pestering them until they had to see her, arranged a meeting at my house (using the info at work). Without consulting us. Or giving us their number. Or letting us know when they'd be here. We had no idea if they were the people who actually put up an ad or not until they got here at 9pm. After a two hour drive. It wasn't theirs. As soon as they left, she called us and reminded us that she- and now her teenaged son- wanted Kiki. Oh, and the too small cage I carried her home in. The one that I owned. I still don't know why she thought we'd just hand over Kiki after one person said it wasn't their bird. This all happened two days after we got her and opened a found report with the SPCA.

She kept calling and pestering my mom at work until we had to lie. Even after we "found her owners and returned her", she kept bugging and nagging for a while.

She's recovered a lot since my mom found her and is currently regrowing her damaged tailfeathers, nails, and beak, and put on a lot of weight once she stopped only eating oranges.

Thankfully, she's long since got an all-clear at the vet and is fitting in just fine. She's about a year and a half old and has gotten a lot bigger than when she first came home.

She's already started to say her name and is a real great birb. Unfortunately, Kiki's also very fond of gently grabbing fingers with her foot during scritching sessions and gnawing the flesh from your bones. And she squeaks all night to be let out of her new cage.

8vTelmx.png

Garet

Real Name
Garet
It always disgusts me how cruel kids can be... And your coworker sure sounds like a psycho as well. :cautious: Hate to imagine how Kiki would have lived if she ended up in her hands.
My mom's co-worker, actually. But yeah, she's psycho. :x She saw me taking Kiki home and told me to "keep her forever" if we couldn't find her owner, then pulled all that after finding out that she's a 400$ bird here.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Beautiful baby! Thanks for rescuing her!!!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
They were trying to hit her with a ball? What the heck?
Yep. Apparently, no one got in any trouble either. Going off of word of mouth from ma, the general consensus was 'it's just a bird'.

:shifty: An amazingly friendly bird who loves everyone. It only took a few hours for her to land on my head and the better part of a day to start begging me to feed her like a mamma bird would. Even after nearly being killed and getting stuffed in a box until I got there with my cage, she was super friendly.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It’s so good to see you back posting again Garet!

Thank you for rescuing another baby in need :). I’m glad she found her way to your care!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Nice to see you are back! Awesome rescue there. Your Mom is awesome and you are the perfect home for this little one.

I missed seeing you here, you are too fun to be away so long!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Nice to see you are back! Awesome rescue there. Your Mom is awesome and you are the perfect home for this little one.

I missed seeing you here, you are too fun to be away so long!
Aww, thank you! ;-; I just kinda had a lot on my plate. Nothing bad happened, I just had a lot of appointments and this and that and new meds and then Kiki needed her checkups and Yen needed a new cage and then renovations and swapping rooms and my aunt's tenant moved out and she bought a new dog... it was hectic, haha!

It’s so good to see you back posting again Garet!

Thank you for rescuing another baby in need :). I’m glad she found her way to your care!
Thanks. :p it's nice to be back! But the rescue credit goes to my mom. She's the one who saw what was going on with the grade sixes and stuffed 'the elderly dying lovebird' she caught in a box until I got there.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Found some old pictures from when we first brought her home. I had to hold bird bread in my mouth for her to eat it.

uuRnKpm.jpg
And this is how she would beg for food. She used to do that and bob her head furiously.
ZukJMaA.jpg
And this is not my Kiki, but the missing bird that crazy lady said looked exactly like Kiki. I don't think they ever found him. :(
p37l3ja.jpg

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
WTH is wrong with these children?! And you’re mom’s coworker sounds like a piece of work. I’m glad you stood strong and kept Kiki safe! She sounds like she’s found a perfect home!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
WTH is wrong with these children?! And you’re mom’s coworker sounds like a piece of work. I’m glad you stood strong and kept Kiki safe! She sounds like she’s found a perfect home!
I wish I knew. :/ But yeah, I confirmed what happened, as there were three other monitors waiting with my mom when I went to go get her.

The weirdest part is that the kids who tried to hurt her kept asking my mom how she was doing and wanted to know if she was feeling better.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Thank you for helping her! And,,,that pic of the missing bird has some serious nutrition problems by the looks of those feathers.
Yeah, I saw the stress bars and missing feathers. It's been a while since I spoke to them, but I think they said that he was a senior bird. They might have mentioned health issues, but again, it's been a few months and honestly, I had to take my anxiety meds after they left, so my complete recollection of what they said is a little fuzzy.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I wish I knew. :/ But yeah, I confirmed what happened, as there were three other monitors waiting with my mom when I went to go get her.

The weirdest part is that the kids who tried to hurt her kept asking my mom how she was doing and wanted to know if she was feeling better.
Wow that is weird! That would have been hard to answer, hows that bird I tortured sounds like a very chilling request for information...