• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

It's an ORBIT and it's out of this world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardissa

Meeting neighbors
Get it?? Orbit? Out of this world?? Arrgh har har har...

errr umm...*ahem*...

...so I finished up this orbit-almost-atom bird plaything last week and wanted to share!

This is what I used...

3 metal hoops from a HobbyLobby that just opened up near me, 50 feet of 1/4" rope from CaBirdNerds, all natural cotton kitchen twine and my trusty tape measure that I've had since I was in the Craft Club in 4th grade.

The kitchen twine was to wrap the joints where the hoops would cross to make sure the metal wouldn't be accessible thru the larger rope.

I'm not worried about my birds chewing through this, but for bigger birds or chewers I would use stainless steel hoops.

I wrapped the joints and also attached TWO hoops together with the twine. The 3rd hoop is sitting out at the moment, I added it later.

Then I moved on to wrapping with the 1/4" rope...

When I reached a joint I stopped wrapping and cut the rope leaving a long tail to be knotted with the other sides, I did this for all four sides.

When all four sides were done I was left with 4 long tails at each of the 2 joints, I tied the 4 taills together with a square knot...

The picture below shows the square knot tightened and in the middle is where the twine I wrapped earlier is showing, if I hadn't wrapped with the twine...the metal hoop would be showing here in the very center...

You really could skip the twine step and just wrap with the thicker rope until no metal was visible, but I think the extra twine was worth the effort to make it neater and use less rope. Also it helped keep the rings square and gave the rope a better grip when I began wrapping with it.

I tied off the rope ends at the joints and added beads...

What did I do with the 3rd metal ring, you say? I took it and jammed it over the thing pictured above, then I wrapped it with the rope. I used the same method of wrapping in thin twine first where there would be a joint and then using the thick rope and wrapping until I got to a joint. At the joint I left a long tail and cut the rope then tied the rope together when done wrapping.

And this is what I got!

Hung up in our workout area in the basement...

Total cost? Less than $15 (actually...$12.50 plus cost of beads). Yaaay me! :D

jennluna

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
Wow--great job!

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
WOW that is quite impressive!
You should think of making those and selling them :)

Ardissa

Meeting neighbors
WOW that is quite impressive!
You should think of making those and selling them :)
Thanks! It was fun to make. The thought of selling them crossed my mind, but I wouldn't know what to charge or even how to go about selling them!

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
WOW! That's fantastic!!! I'd definitely buy one too!!!

OldBirdLady1983

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Pickle
Count me in! I would buy one also :) Let us know?? You are so talented :)

Chicklet

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jamie
thats awesome! great job! :)

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Total cost? Less than $15 (actually...$12.50 plus cost of beads). Yaaay me! :D[/QUOTE]

Plus $200. in labor!! Wow, I have huge respect for the bird toy companies that make these Atoms, Odd-Balls and such...that would be hard on the hands!
Good job:)

yvette

Real Name
Yvette
Excellent job!
I gotta get my butt in gear and make one for my brown head!

Ardissa

Meeting neighbors
Wow, I have huge respect for the bird toy companies that make these Atoms, Odd-Balls and such...that would be hard on the hands!
Good job:)

I actually got callouses on the insides of my fingers and palms from tightening the rope, just from this one toy!! And all night hubby was squeezing and rubbing my forearms because they were so sore!!

It was definitely worth it :D

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
That looks great! Perhaps this summer when I have more time I will give it a try!

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin
Yeah you is right!!!!!!!:laughing12:

You see the first picture you posted?
I got the first picture down!!!!:dance4:
That's all the farther!!:rofl:

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
It's amazing!! Thank you so much for the step by step pics, :hug8: I have been thinking of trying my hand at making one and wasn't sure where to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.