• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

NEW PRODUCT It's all been in the works ...

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Love all your new stuff!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Good to hear.
I may have to order from you and have them sent to Aus. I have had no luck trying to purchase stainless steel toys here in Aus even after contacting the person who does them :(

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Awesome! Stainless steel toys are my weakness

(and foraging...and willow...and sales...and cute wood shapes.... I have a lot of weakness :lol:)
If you just say "bird stuff", it doesn't sound so bad...:laugh:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Will you be adding anymore large ones? I don't want to pay ship for one toy :)
I need toys suitable for Coco <3 She can't have anything she can ingest. So like a little foraging cup toy, Bell/spoon toys, anything really. Stuff she can unwind :)
She has Grey Feather Toys now.

I would love for all my birds to switch to SS only.

After Coco nearly dying from swallowing toys, I am super paranoid.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yes, eventually soon. What do you mean she likes things to unwind? Like unscrewing things? I've already had something like that in mind. I'm still gathering odds and ends to make things and waiting on items I've ordered. I do have a s/s spoon toy I'm going to do soon too, it's a teaspoon size!

How large of things does Coco Like or your B&G like? Do they like things that make noise to tick you off?!! LOL!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keno would also like something that she can unscrew and manipulate. Something that she has to take apart/open to get a treat would be nice.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
My Stainless Steel Parts? That's because I don't have any. I may not either so that category might get deleted. It's very difficult to get a wide variety in stainless steel being that most stuff is more along the lines of hardware based. I will be getting in S/S Beads soon but other than that the stuff I have is hardware driven.
Well you are doing a great job making it look awesome. I am having trouble finding o rings (but maybe I haven't looked that hard).

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Well you are doing a great job making it look awesome. I am having trouble finding o rings (but maybe I haven't looked that hard).

Why, they are not hard to find. I've been getting them ever since 2002. Oh and thank you!! :)

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Coco can do toys the same as the BG
Yes, mechanical type things.
She has great unscrewing skills!

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Coco can do toys the same as the BG
Yes, mechanical type things.
She has great unscrewing skills!

At this point, I'm not there yet on the so called hands on (feet on) mechanical toys, I was looking into screwing and unscrewing nuts/bolts but it'll probably be pretty basic ... I have nice 5" long x 3/4" wide x 1/8" thick stainless pieces for it but have to find the right nuts/bolts. Do you think it would be best to have it secure to the cage on one end of it or to have it hang or use as a foot toy??

Anyway, I now have a few more toys made up and on the site, the toys I have so far are ones I will use as my model pieces to go by when I make up a toy(s). No extras toys made up in advance yet so toys will be made after order is placed. I've got most all my ducks in a row on the toy making. I will tell you this though ... it is a PITA to get a toy situated in place to weld it. I do get frustrated to say the least ... can I charge extra for that??!! LOL!

Picture taking on the stainless toys, oh boy, forget it. I have the hardest time as it is most difficult to photograph reflective items, if light does not hit it right, it looks dark or black. So my images are so so. I've read all about photographing shiny objects but it is hard to get a decent pic. I have a light box but its still not working out great for the reflective toys.

Stainless Steel Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
At this point, I'm not there yet on the so called hands on (feet on) mechanical toys, I was looking into screwing and unscrewing nuts/bolts but it'll probably be pretty basic ... I have nice 5" long x 3/4" wide x 1/8" thick stainless pieces for it but have to find the right nuts/bolts. Do you think it would be best to have it secure to the cage on one end of it or to have it hang or use as a foot toy??

Anyway, I now have a few more toys made up and on the site, the toys I have so far are ones I will use as my model pieces to go by when I make up a toy(s). No extras toys made up in advance yet so toys will be made after order is placed. I've got most all my ducks in a row on the toy making. I will tell you this though ... it is a PITA to get a toy situated in place to weld it. I do get frustrated to say the least ... can I charge extra for that??!! LOL!

Picture taking on the stainless toys, oh boy, forget it. I have the hardest time as it is most difficult to photograph reflective items, if light does not hit it right, it looks dark or black. So my images are so so. I've read all about photographing shiny objects but it is hard to get a decent pic. I have a light box but its still not working out great for the reflective toys.

Stainless Steel Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Do you have a light box for photography? I've heard with shiny metals, it's best to wear a white long-sleeved shirt and maybe white gloves when shooting. I could see it being a problem to get the toy still, too. Maybe figure a way to rig some strong, clear monofilament/fishing line and Photoshop that out if it shows in the picture.

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yes, I mention in my post above that I use a light box. I do hang the toy onto a fishing line so it looks suspended. I understand what you are saying about wearing the white and I do know that if I get too close to the toy, it picks up my hand or like if there are other objects facing the toy so it is tricky. Thank you for the suggestions. I'm using my Nikon camera as my cell phone just isn't cutting it as I get too many blurry images with my cell. I've read several articles on photographing shiny objects and my setup is not ideal and I really need more room and more lighting. If I was laying down my toys, it would be a little easier I think but the toys really need to hang to get the overall look of the toy.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Really, though, I don't think any of us would notice a reflection here or there. We're all excited for these new ss toys. :)

Sorry, I skimmed the posts. My net connection has been awful the last couple of days.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Wow they look great. This makes me really wish there were decent SS toys here in Aus.

Reactions: Jan

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Like this toy named "Keyed Alike", I layed it down flat on white paper, under a light but not in the light box.

SSBT-Keyed-Alike-Flat-Down-1a-60k.jpg
BUT the keys look dark ... believe me, images do not do it any justice at all. The images just do not depict how the toy really looks. Toys look much better in person! By the way, the keys are a brushed stainless, not shiny but the metal it hangs from it also a brushed stainless but it is more shiny than the keys.

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Wow they look great. This makes me really wish there were decent SS toys here in Aus.

What prevents you from ordering from the U.S.? The shipping costs mostly?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The shipping costs are a killer and depending on the exchange rate the price can be a little out of reach for certain things. The advertised prices can end up being almost double (once converted) and then the shipping is normally more than the item being purchased.

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yah, I hear ya ... it is all a killer. Maybe if and/or when you'd want a couple of toys or so we can run the numbers and see what is the best way or if it is feasible in your favor.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thanks that would be great, I have not had any luck getting any really good ones here yet and all the ones I have seen are pretty crumby and not very well put together unfortunately. I have already purchased all the decent ones here (that I have found) that are not just made out of thin wire and that totals three, lol.
I have just spent this months bird toy money (yesterday :/) but I will have a look for next months purchase :)