• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

'It's a Miracle:' Missing Parrot Found, Safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gayla

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gayla
The pet macaw flew away from from her Wayne Avenue home on Monday.

Penelope, the missing Haddonfield parrot, was found Friday in Cherry Hill and claimed by its owner Saturday at the Camden County Animal Shelter in Gloucester Township.

The wayward macaw literally flew the coop on Monday, suddenly discovering she could fly. Her clipped wings had grown enough for a solo flight, and what a flight it was.

"She's had her summer vacation; now she's safe at home," said Marion McParland, Penelope's owner, along with her 13-year-old son, Ryan. "She's in her cage, eating and drinking and chirping. It's a miracle, and just in time before the hurricane."

McParland thought the search for Penelope was down to the wire. Her family launched a frantic search shortly after the parrot flew from the patio of the family home, where she often frolicked outside. McParland showered the area with fliers and posted an Internet blast on the website Pet Amber Alert. She worried that the strong winds from Hurricane Irene might carry her 1-pound family member away.

Penelope was spotted in Cherry Hill Friday near Covered Bridge Road. McParland hadn't seen her since Wednesday, when she was headed toward Grove Street, three blocks from her home. She was found four miles away on Covered Bridge Road. McParland received a call shortly after 9:30 a.m. Saturday from the shelter, which had one of the fliers she distributed.

"She must have been on the ground," McParland said about how Penelope was captured. An effort with a fire-truck ladder in a tree earlier this week in Haddonfield failed.

Penelope knew familiar faces once reunited.

"She jumped on me immediately and chirped and whistled," she said. "She knew me immediately."

And while McParland said earlier this week she can understand how exciting flying must be for a bird that hasn't in a very long time, she said Penelope's excellent adventures are likely over.

"As soon as she rests a little, we're taking her the the vet," she said. "We've learned our lesson."

source: 'It's a Miracle:' Missing Parrot Found, Safe! - Haddonfield, NJ Patch

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank god,she is safely home.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
thank goodness she is home safely!!

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
I hope someone told her even a clipped bird should not be outside without a harness or cage.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
She lives in the town right next to me....I emailed her and offered to help. I was so nervous as the storm was coming. She sent me fliers that I was going to copy and put up, but then she told me she was found! I was soooo relieved. What a lucky girl she was!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:dance4::dance4::dance4::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Great news:dance4::dance4::dance4:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nothing short of a miracle....so glad shes home safe.

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
Oh my gosh, I know that parrot! Some jerk on Craigslist kept posting that he had found her and was going to keep her, what a terrible thing to tell an owner. "I have your parrot, he's happy with me, I'm not giving him back but just know he's being well cared for." I was so angry when I saw that and SO happy when I saw they'd found her!

Very lucky.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Very lucky bird!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The pet macaw flew away from from her Wayne Avenue home on Monday.

Penelope, the missing Haddonfield parrot, was found Friday in Cherry Hill and claimed by its owner Saturday at the Camden County Animal Shelter in Gloucester Township.

The wayward macaw literally flew the coop on Monday, suddenly discovering she could fly. Her clipped wings had grown enough for a solo flight, and what a flight it was.

"She's had her summer vacation; now she's safe at home," said Marion McParland, Penelope's owner, along with her 13-year-old son, Ryan. "She's in her cage, eating and drinking and chirping. It's a miracle, and just in time before the hurricane."

McParland thought the search for Penelope was down to the wire. Her family launched a frantic search shortly after the parrot flew from the patio of the family home, where she often frolicked outside. McParland showered the area with fliers and posted an Internet blast on the website Pet Amber Alert. She worried that the strong winds from Hurricane Irene might carry her 1-pound family member away.

Penelope was spotted in Cherry Hill Friday near Covered Bridge Road. McParland hadn't seen her since Wednesday, when she was headed toward Grove Street, three blocks from her home. She was found four miles away on Covered Bridge Road. McParland received a call shortly after 9:30 a.m. Saturday from the shelter, which had one of the fliers she distributed.

"She must have been on the ground," McParland said about how Penelope was captured. An effort with a fire-truck ladder in a tree earlier this week in Haddonfield failed.

Penelope knew familiar faces once reunited.

"She jumped on me immediately and chirped and whistled," she said. "She knew me immediately."

And while McParland said earlier this week she can understand how exciting flying must be for a bird that hasn't in a very long time, she said Penelope's excellent adventures are likely over.

"As soon as she rests a little, we're taking her the the vet," she said. "We've learned our lesson."

source: 'It's a Miracle:' Missing Parrot Found, Safe! - Haddonfield, NJ Patch
Good heavens, it's a small world. Used to live in Cherry Hill and had a grandmother-in-law who lived in Haddonfield. I'm just very glad that Penelope is home safe and sound; having chased down2 of my own birds who supposedly "didn't fly" I now treat everyone in the flock as if they could fly. ONce bitten twice shy! :eek:

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
REally Erin? How cruel. I saw a post on CL that a parrot was found and emailed the woman he link....she said it was a conure though:(

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
Leslie -- yeah I thought it was spectacularly mean. If it was true, it's even worse. Some people are just horrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.