• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Itchy birdy

Tessiebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Taylor
Poor Tessie is having an itching problem. She isn't plucking feathers thankfully but she does seem to itch around her neck and chest more often the last couple days. I tried rubbing my finger on her itchy zones and she seemed to love it.

Everything I've read so far though say she's not old enough to molt yet (she's five months) but I've seen little down-ish feathers puff off of her once in a while. Any ideas?

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Whilst they only molt once or twice a year... they are always losing a feather here or there! And GCC love scratches around the beak and top of their heads! So don't be put off by the age as it has little to do with their itching unless of course they have mites or such! Enjoy the opportunity to bond with your friend and help Tessie reach those.... oh oh.. here, just there, ooooh yeah spots! ;) Just be careful not to scratch their backs or tail areas as that can send the wrong signals to them!:cautious:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Does she bathe regularly? Dry skin can be a cause of birds scratching themselves.

Tessiebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Taylor
Does she bathe regularly? Dry skin can be a cause of birds scratching themselves.
We let her go in the sink once or twice a week but she usually just splashes around in her water dish which we then have to clean :wacky:

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I think green cheeks have their first molt between 5-8 months depending on the month they hatched. Cricket was about 8 months but he hasn't had a noticeable molt since and he is now two. He drops feathers here and there but has not had many noticeable pin feathers. Neither has Watson really....Hmmmm :hmmm:

Tessiebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Taylor
I think green cheeks have their first molt between 5-8 months depending on the month they hatched. Cricket was about 8 months but he hasn't had a noticeable molt since and he is now two. He drops feathers here and there but has not had many noticeable pin feathers. Neither has Watson really....Hmmmm :hmmm:
She hatched in March. I had no idea that could be a factor. She does seem to feel a little better after her baths and a looottt of head and neck scratches.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What you call itching is actually a bird "preening" which is what they all do about 80% of their waking hours. Especially a young bird with lots of new feathers. Unless you see actual "plucking" your fears are unfounded.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They lose feathers like we lose hair. Only when they grow back in, theirs need to be removed from a keratin sheath, which requires "scratching". The ones on the neck especially take more work because they are harder to reach.

Aside from molting in new feathers, birds put a lot of effort into keeping their feathers in good shape. They use their beak to "zip" them back together, for instance. Feathers are insulation from the elements, they are flight enhancers, they are used to attract mates, they tell other birds if they are ill or well. Feathers are life for them. So they take meticulous care of them, and will dedicate a large percentage of their day to keeping them in top condition.