• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent itching tongue with tip of beak- while beak grinding

Rumo2013

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rumaisa
So on my previous posts I talked about how my parrot had saliva at the back of her throat and itching her tongue by using the tip of her beak. And I went to the vet and they didn't say anything about her mouth and they checked her mouth and didn't find anything(only that she was low on calcium). However, they gave me herbal and calcium liquid supplements. Now i have stopped giving those supplements because i had ran out and i been giving her more veggies. Healthy parrot may not need to go to the vet because vets are super expensive. So right now i see my parrot beak grinding which ik is normal but then i just wanted to check just in case if there was saliva and there was. So please tell me if it's normal that there is saliva when they beak grind. But saliva doesn't come out of her mouth and hopefully it does not. However, she was just itching(that is what it looked like she was doing) her tongue with the tip of her beak and i let it happen to see what would happen, so she stopped and shook her head like it stung. So please tell me if i need to go to the vet because my vet didn't say anything when i went there last time, or maybe it was because my parrot was chewing on rolled up tissue paper, and wasn't doing that behavior.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Is it an almost constant behavior? I’m sorry I don’t know anything about this, but maybe somebody will come along who can help. Was it a vet experienced with birds? Was there any tests done, like to check if there was a fungal or bacterial infection?

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It definitely looks to me like something is wrong. I would ask the vet to do swabs and cultures from your bird's mouth.

Rumo2013

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rumaisa
I did go to a vet Backos clinic and i feel the vet is experienced. My quaker had internal bleeding in 2017 and she had to stay there for a week and later she was feeling better. He had done some tests and everything looked fine. he checked her mouth and said nothing was wrong. Maybe it was because my quaker was biting rolled up tissue paper. He took a blood and culture test, and a swab from the mouth. he just said her calcium levels were low. he gave me herbal and calcium liquid supplements and a powder herb. but i have stopped giving her that because i had ran out. maybe that's why she started doing it again. can u ask ur vet.

Rumo2013

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rumaisa
A blood, culture and mouth swab test was done. her calcium levels were low and gave me herbal and calcium liquid supplements, and a powder herb for maybe her liver or kidney, but i stopped giving her it because i ran out.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So the last time your bird saw a vet was 3 years ago?

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So call back and ask your questions? I don't understand what you want us to do if you won't take our advice to follow up with your vet.

Reactions: tka