• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Itching nose?

Duel

Walking the driveway
My lovebird just bathed himself and I think he may have breathed in some water into his nose because he's been trying to itch his nose against every stick he can. Will the problem go away naturally if I wait it since it was his drinking water that he used or is there something to worry about?

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My lovebird wipes her beak on everything all the time. Sometimes it's more her nose area. Probably nothing but definitely just keep an eye on him and see if he's acting normal. Doesn't hurt to be cautious.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Just a way for parrots to clean their beaks.
After a shower it's common for them to wipe any sticky residue that may be on beak from food.
Such as a banana, or fruit, created a sticky film, you might not see it but parrots know. So water and a good beak run on sticks they love.
Another thing I do is hang old socks, or old towel strips ( clean of course) from their perches tied in a knot. The purpose of this is a parrot (all parrots) need to clean the "inside" of their beak.
They chew the sock, cloth towel, or even your shirt they perch on after a meal or snack.
This helps clean food out inside beak and helps prevent bacteria build up that can lead to crop infection.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Like Michael and Leih said, it´s normal to do the beak rubbing after a bath. It´s to dry themselves.
My sydney is the cutest because he comes over and rubs on me, sometimes fast other times slow.
Here´s a slow day;

They chew the sock, cloth towel, or even your shirt they perch on after a meal or snack.
Adelie has been doing this after her night feed, she snuggles in and starts munching on my shirt so I have to remember to put a cheap T on at night, If I don´t have a tshirt on she comes right up to my neck and nips me wih the tip of her beak, It´s like getting stabbed with a pin :(

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Adelie has been doing this after her night feed, she snuggles in and starts munching on my shirt so I have to remember to put a cheap T on at night, If I don´t have a tshirt on she comes right up to my neck and nips me wih the tip of her beak, It´s like getting stabbed with a pin :(
I'm so glad that phase is over, i use to have little red bumps all over my arm, chest and neck.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I'm so glad that phase is over, i use to have little red bumps all over my arm, chest and neck.
I’m so glad to hear that phase ends! I only have one fid who does it but my shirts and skin have suffered :lol:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’m so glad to hear that phase ends!
It does seem so.
None of my adult lovebirds chew on my clothes nor do that little nip thing. They might nip me occassionaly but not like a juvenile does with the tip of the beak.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Maybe Aoife's weird but she always dries off on a perch. She's pretty uptight about keeping her beak clean /dry, which is why I still can't get her to eat fresh vegetables or fruit. She does like to chew at the buttons on my shirt. Galahad likes to rub up under my chin while wet and does do the nip.... On my neck!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Maybe Aoife's weird but she always dries off on a perch. She's pretty uptight about keeping her beak clean /dry, which is why I still can't get her to eat fresh vegetables or fruit. She does like to chew at the buttons on my shirt. Galahad likes to rub up under my chin while wet and does do the nip.... On my neck!
Loki, when she snuggles with at night. She will start grinding her beak right next to my chin, after awhile it feels moist.:depressed:

Attachments