• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

It never ends ...

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So I am for ever rebuilding toys for Tyrion ..just today I made 4 toys for him and hung them in his cage ..with in an hour he had 2 torn to pieces ...I know that's what they are for but come on I spend about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes on each toy hopping they will last at least a day ..but noooo they are gone as soon as I put them in it seems ..all I hear are toy pieces falling to the floor ...before he use to chew one piece after the other making the toy last awhile ..now it seems for him its all about killing the whole toy as fast as he can ...so every day I'm making toys at some point during the day ... I'm glad he is loving the toys I make but ...come on :wacky::wacky:

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Ella has sooooooooooooooo many toys in her home that she doesn't go through them all quickly, actually have one she swings from that has 3 wood blocks left on it and does the weeeeeeeeeee as she is swinging. :facepalm: The key is many many toys to keep them occupied Ella has over 12 in her home and then of course the stainless that last foreverrrrrrrrr.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Oh he has a lot of toys in his home right now there are 9 ..so he had 11 before he killed the 2 so he isn't lacking for toys ...he just loves killing the ones I make vs the ones I buy ...I don't know why ...maybe its because he loves watching me make them :blink:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
What kind of wood are you using? Maybe try a harder one. Or thicker pieces. :)

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I tried thicker blocks mixed in with his wicker stuff ...but all he is figured out is how to take it apart and throws the parts on the ground they are chewed abit ...so for the most part I just have to put them back together again ...at least it saves in using new toy parts which I'm down some I need to make an order from T4W...I guess as long as he is having fun aren't we all :wacky:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I was going to suggest skewers or different stringing materials. I sell the long straight skewers and curved ones as well. I have two or three skewers in each of my cages. It takes only about a minute or two to make a toy. I use this for all my wood toys. You can also us stainless steel wire (file the ends and make sure close the loops very tightly) or welded chain (sized properly or covered with beads) but you have to watch how they play and make sure it is safe for them they way they use it.

My favorite is paper rope but I am not sure if he can chew through it. Mine only chew it on foot toys, they drop it in their water to soften it and then take it a apart.

I make lots toys for myself and others but most take less that 10 minutes to make. Even so skewers are my personal favorite for my birds. I give them other toys but I know if I have skewers they can always have something new.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Had to make some more toys today and probably more tomorrow :wacky:

Like I said it never ends :roflmao::wacky::roflmao:

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Well, it's better than the alternative - putting in the money and work and then having him not even play with it! :hehe: