• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent It can't walk, it can't fly... HELP!- Sad Update Post #24

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I would see if you can find a wildlife rehabber in your area. They will not only work with the injuries they will do what they can to rehab the bird to be released back to the wild

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
if you tell where you are maybe we can help you find a rehabber??

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
Hi guys! Thanks so much for all your advice! The bird died in the night tho. At least now it can be at peace.

Klspires

Moving in
I agree with @camelotshadow -
Before I became a GCC mommy to Bruno, I had a pug that was attacked by another dog. Long story short, the dog that attacked my pug left puncture wounds (that I couldn't really see because of his fur) that became extremely infected within 24 hours and had to go to the emergency vet to receive an immediate course of antibiotics.
I can only imagine what could happen to the bird you found without administering any antibiotics:depressed:
(Especially if it was a stray/feral cat)

Also, I recently found a messenger pigeon that was severely injured & bleeding on the sidewalk by my work. Luckily, I work at a dental office so I was able to grab some gloves, a box and a bunch of towels to put the bird in so he could rest safely while I called a nearby wild bird rescue center. They were able to take him in for medical care; Supposedly they were able to find out where he came from because he was a messenger pigeon and assured me that he would be fine.(I was crying like a baby because I was so worried:confused:)

I definitely recommend you either take it somewhere where it can be rehabilitated OR if you're able to take care of it, please try to get some antibiotics to help fight any kind of infection that may be brewing in there.

Good luck with everything- I sincerely hope that it all works out:heart: bless you for having such a kind heart and taking care of this injured bird!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry. Thank you for trying.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sorry but least it did not die in the cold street. You tried & gave it a warm soft spot to rest & water. The injuries were bad & it could of had internal problems or bleeding you could not see.

Poor lil guy fly free.
:sorrow:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry.

Klspires

Moving in
Oh no! I'm so sorry.. at least he isn't suffering anymore. Thank you for doing all you could to save his life:sadhug2:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thank you for trying! You did a good job.

For future reference"

I always keep 2 things on hand. Guardian Angel, which is sort of emergency vitamins for birds (or you could use Pedialyte from the baby aisle in the grocery)

And... baby bird formula, which again you can get human baby cereal in the baby aisle at the grocery.

With a young or sick or injured bird, I try to administer a drop or two of the vitamins into the beak per hour. Even if they won't open the beak, you can dribble it at the side and see them take it in and swallow. This takes forever to do but it is worth it.

The cereal or bird food mix up watery and serve if they are able to eat. Sometimes they'll dip into a small bowl of it. Other times you can offer it in a spoon or by syringe, too much to write here, ask me if you need a how-to. :)

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I am so sorry, thank you for trying.

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
Thank you so much everyone! Is there anything else i could have or should have done? I treated the wounds with cream to help them heal and stop infection.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
the biggest reason that the bird died, was most likely shock. plus that fact that it was cat that maul it. cat's mouths are infection waiting to happened for any animal that gets bitten.
For future reference"

I always keep 2 things on hand. Guardian Angel, which is sort of emergency vitamins for birds (or you could use Pedialyte from the baby aisle in the grocery)

And... baby bird formula, which again you can get human baby cereal in the baby aisle at the grocery.

With a young or sick or injured bird, I try to administer a drop or two of the vitamins into the beak per hour. Even if they won't open the beak, you can dribble it at the side and see them take it in and swallow. This takes forever to do but it is worth it.

The cereal or bird food mix up watery and serve if they are able to eat. Sometimes they'll dip into a small bowl of it. Other times you can offer it in a spoon or by syringe, too much to write here, ask me if you need a how-to. :)
this is right on the money and well worth remembering.