• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

It’s amazing how a simple cork can be so entertaining

Karnkate

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karnkate (Lookkaew/Crystal)
B687F438-71F4-489E-8479-D2710FF552D8.jpeg
I bought 5 pieces of XL sized cork pieces for my birds to destroy. All of them except Mommam the blue spangled budgie literally go nuts at the sight of it. Mali can possibly spent ten minutes getting occupied from this thing. And finally, Mali has a better target to chew on that is not human skin. When he gets nippy I can just summon this sacred cork and he’ll immediately let go of the human finger/skin fixation and go after the cork instead.
In fact, Mali loves the cork so much he sometimes will drive any bird (including Joseph) away so that he gets to chew it all by himself. If I try to bring out the second cork so that the other birds will just chew on this one and leave Mali alone....he will try to get that second cork too. Grass is always greener on the other side, eh?

F79008EC-494B-4013-9458-3B45CFB7CD28.jpeg
This is how big the corks are.
A4C55A96-E821-4A72-8B44-D1401D2A06A7.jpeg
Because Mali is unpredictable when he’s in the vicinity of the cork, Joseph and I opt for a recall practice instead. The budgies are kept in the background because they now have to come out on a different time because they keep bullying Joseph by ramming their heads against the poor p’let.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Such cuties.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
You can buy the biggest, "bestest", fanciest toy for a fid and find that, when all is said and done, they prefer that piece of cork or a straw fingertrap instead. It's the age old story of the kid who wanted X for Christmas, gets X for Christmas and is playing with the box it came in instead.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
How cute!!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
this is unheard here in my home, 2 budgies bullying a p'let :wideyed: We are used to the other way around... :meh:
Is it safe for the birds to eat cork though? I would be afraid that they could chew big bites and choke or cork their stomach..?

Karnkate

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karnkate (Lookkaew/Crystal)
this is unheard here in my home, 2 budgies bullying a p'let :wideyed: We are used to the other way around... :meh:
Is it safe for the birds to eat cork though? I would be afraid that they could chew big bites and choke or cork their stomach..?
Joseph is a weird p’let. He doesn’t bite and is generally very sweet and cute. Which makes him a prime target for bird bullying.
They don’t seem to be eating any cork though. I saw them spitting the pieces out after they chewed it.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Joseph is a weird p’let. He doesn’t bite and is generally very sweet and cute. Which makes him a prime target for bird bullying.
They don’t seem to be eating any cork though. I saw them spitting the pieces out after they chewed it.
It's a chewable toy. My flock will chew the cork perches they get but they don't eat it - just destroy it.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Great idea!