• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ISO Parrotlet Breeder in Chicago-ish area

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Hi all!

Looking for recommendations on parrotlet breeders in the general Chicago/Illinois/Indiana area (willing to drive a few hours for the right baby). I recently lost my last parrotlet, and the silence in the house is deafening. :(

I definitely want a hand-tame, friendly male. (Yes I know all parrotlets are nippy no matter how friendly. I just want one that is willing to step up and happy to come out and spend time with me. XD ) I would ideally prefer a turquoise, or possibly a blue. I'd rather not ship, because I much prefer to meet the baby before saying for sure if I want to take it home.

Thanks for any help!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Well, since no one else has chimed in, I will recommend ParrotStars in Arlington Heights. Last time I was there they had some baby parrotlets that are probably close to adoption.
http://www.parrotstars.com/
They were awesome & helpful. The place is clean. I was able to bond with Waffle in their education center until she came home. They are very hands-on with the littles and Waffle came home with the ability to step-up, which they trained.

I'm very sorry for your recent loss. :sad2:

Last edited:

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Thanks! If I don't have any luck before then, I'll take a trip up there on the weekend.
Hoping to hear back today from a breeder who had one turquoise male left, but another lady 'may or may not' have already spoken for him. XD

And again, thanks. :( It's been rough, though less so than it might have been/has been with previous losses... She was never properly hand-tamed, and though she would come out and let me scritch her pinnies for her from time to time - on her terms only, never when I asked - mostly she was much happier staying in her palace (ginormous Vision cage) thankyouverymuch. heh.

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
You may want to call ahead before making the trip, just to see what they have. When I went in, they had WAY more cheekies than the website showed.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am So sorry for your loss and hope you find a new companion. I would like to say that even a hand raised bird might not like cuddles, and even if they do it is unlikely they Will like it on your terms:) they are feisty little birds and knkw what they want!

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
I am So sorry for your loss and hope you find a new companion. I would like to say that even a hand raised bird might not like cuddles, and even if they do it is unlikely they Will like it on your terms:) they are feisty little birds and knkw what they want!
Oh yeah, I know. :) I'm pretty confident I have reasonable expectations. I've had many, many birds over the years, several of them from less-than-ideal situations or outright rescues (my siblings referred to my white capped pionus as 'the vampire bird' because if anyone but me even came close to her cage, she was out for blood lol).

ETA:
When I say it was on 'her terms only', I mean I would have to open up her cage, and after an hour or so she *might* come out, more often not. She would never, ever step up in her cage, wouldn't even let my hand near her unless she was already on my chest, or on the floor (she was clipped and knew she couldn't get back up to her cage without my help; but if she was at cage level or higher, she was still uninterested in stepping up.)

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Next Saturday or should I say this Saturday, there'll be the local bird fair in Rolling Meadows at the RM park District center @ 3705 Pheasant (Drive I believe). 10 -3, $4 entry. I get my bird food there but there are many different vendors w & w/o birds.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Just as an update, I am waiting to hear back from a breeder a couple of hours out who has one male turquoise boy left. Another lady had expressed interest in him, but hasn't said for sure if she wants him or one of his other fledglings (he also has a couple of greens and yellows.) As soon as she lets him know for sure, he will let me know, and if she decides not or chooses a different baby, I can have the turquoise boy.

If not, there's always the bird show. :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Just as an update, I am waiting to hear back from a breeder a couple of hours out who has one male turquoise boy left. Another lady had expressed interest in him, but hasn't said for sure if she wants him or one of his other fledglings (he also has a couple of greens and yellows.) As soon as she lets him know for sure, he will let me know, and if she decides not or chooses a different baby, I can have the turquoise boy.

If not, there's always the bird show. :)
If you do end up coming out to the bird fair you might as well visit the ParrotStars store. BTW @NirAntae I goofed the bird fair in RM is NEXT Saturday not this one.

https://www.facebook.com/mwshows/

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
I will probably end up going whether I get the boy from that breeder or not XD While I am fairly sure my last bird was not ill, I'd feel safer not 'handing down' anything that can't be sanitized, just to be on the safe side, so I'll need some toys to restock the palace... er, cage. :smuggrin: (One of the 'two story' Vision cages for one tiny parrotlet... soooo much room for toys... lol)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Ohh, I can probably go now that it's next Saturday!!
The fair is usually held on the 2nd Saturday of each month but this year there were 3 months where there was a scheduling conflict w/the RM Park District and the fair was moved to the 1st Saturday. Aug, Sept, Oct & Dec are all the 2nd Saturday but November's fair is on the first Saturday, 11/03.

The Joliet fairs are usually on the last Sunday of each month UNLESS it's a holiday weekend. But Joliet is a hike when there's a fair in RM.

I go for food but also to check out toys and cages and talk to the rescue people who are there.

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
It is quite a hike for me, but less stressful than going downtown and I would do anything for my baby girl. :)
I'm with you on the downtown part, I can't even remember the last time we went into the city.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Ahhhhhhhh just heard back from the breeder, the other lady decided that since I specifically wanted the turquoise, she would go with one of the other colors, so he's going to be mine as soon as the breeder is confident he's fully weaned :heart: He's been in his own cage eating and drinking on his own without begging to be fed for a week now, so almost certainly within the week, possibly even this weekend, he's just gonna double check on his hatch date.

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
Congrats!! Yay!