• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is your HH microchipped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParrotHead

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey
The story about the hawkhead getting stolen got me thinking. If I were in a situation where someone stole my bird, and they decided to either re-sell it, or let it go, there's no real way to tell he's mine, except by his band number (which can be removed). I have no doubt if someone decided to come to my house to take my birds (which probably wouldn't happen, but if it did) that my hawkhead would probably be the one they would take. Not only because he is very expensive, but because he'd probably be the only one to step up for a stranger.
That leads me to the thought- Is your hawkhead microchipped? I know it wouldn't help me locate him, like a GPS device, however if the person who got him took him to the vet, I would think they would scan him to see if he was microchipped. Mine is not, but I am seriously considering getting it done (as well as my Timneh and Eclectus) What are your thoughts?

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
I do not have a Hawk Head, however, every bird I own is chipped. I also chipped all of the babies I bred, before they went to their new homes. My dog is also chipped. I am a strong advocate of chipping. You're right, it won't help you get them back, but it would prove they are yours.

Cory

Real Name
Cory
I think it is a really good idea to microchip your birds weather they are expensive birds or not. I have spoken to my vet about it a lot and we've addressed all of my related questions and concerns. I am having all of my birds micro-chipped this summer! :dance5:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had Cassius chipped for this very reason. He took it like a champ, no problems at all. It is good peace of mind knowing you can prove they are yours. Doesnt mean it would help bring them back, but could you imagine locating them and not being able to prove it was your bird? :( I hope I'll never have to use it but I feel good knowing there is a way to prove he is mine.

ParrotHead

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey
I have a secondary question- when you had your bird microchipped, did you do anesthesia? I am having a huge hang up b/c my friend's Macaw just died due to being put under anesthesia, and that scares the heck outta me. I wouldn't get a microchip done unless they were put under.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I asked my vet the very same question because I had some worries because of hearing about chipping gone bad on an Ekkie - and not waning to take any chances. My vet does a LOT of chipping on birds and felt there was more risk to sedate him than to just chip him (Im sure its an individual thing, both the bird yo are doing and the technique of the vet). We didnt do anesthesia on Cash and he was in and out in no time, basically like giving a vaccine.

southerninak

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
I'm chipping my Ekkie this summer. My vet said she wouldn't have a problem Sedating her ?

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I got Chester microchipped about 3 years ago. He did not have a leg band when I got him so I thought it would be a good form of identification or should he get stolen. I have Kuka my B&G chipped as well but that all right now. I might get Gabby done sometime like when I have to take her in for whatever.

Don't forget, you have to register your chip info for their database otherwise all it will do is link back to the vet that chipped the bird or animal and only has their vet office info and none of your personal info. You pay a fee for registering it. I use the Avid chips so I walk over to their buidling that is right there in back of them to give current info.

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
NO! There is absolutely no reason to sedate your birds to chip them. My Vet did my Pet birds years ago, and never sedated. I have done all of my babies MYSELF at home and rarely with help. It is quick, easy and the bird hardly knows what happened. I definitely would not risk sedation.

January Specials! 15% OFF Get A Grip Nets. 15% OFF Newly Arrived Toys.
FREE SHIPPING on Orders $75.00 & Up.

Cory

Real Name
Cory
NO! There is absolutely no reason to sedate your birds to chip them. My Vet did my Pet birds years ago, and never sedated. I have done all of my babies MYSELF at home and rarely with help. It is quick, easy and the bird hardly knows what happened. I definitely would not risk sedation.

January Specials! 15% OFF Get A Grip Nets. 15% OFF Newly Arrived Toys.
FREE SHIPPING on Orders $75.00 & Up.
Hi Shelley,

Just out of curiosity, how big are the birds that you've microchipped? What's the smallest bird you've had microchipped? Thanks! :)

feebee

Jogging around the block
i dont know much about microchipping the birds, but when they did my puppy they didnt sedate him (i watched) so why would they sedate birds? surely they can have you help to hold your bird if its a movement/ beak biting issue?

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
the only reason would be if the bird got stressed at being handled by a stranger.
the microchip is only has big as the top of a pinhead, very tiny.
All my birds have been done and it took less than ten minutes to do. Ten yrs ago my first Grey Leroy was given an anaesthetic as it was fairly new here and in its infancy. Now all the remainder are done no sedation or anaesthesia as it is not necessary.
The behaved as normal as soon as we got back home and it was forgotten about. Good luck.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.