• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Wheatgrass Safe, herbs?

lesliekiki

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leslie
Hi, I was wondering if Wheatgrass is safe. My friend use to grow it in order to juice. And I would see sparrows land on it and nibble. I actually think they were digging for the sprouted seeds.

Also does anyone know it the following are safe and tasty for tiels? I just planted some in my garden.
Basil, Mint, Cilantro, Parsley, Rosemary, Lavender, Dill?

Does anyone have any recommendations on herbs they like that I might try growing.
Also I saw what appeared to be sliced small peppers in a dish on the rehome section. What kinda peppers do tiles like?
Thanks!!!!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I buy wheatgrass at the local supermarket and put it out for my tiels, gccs and Quakers. Some eat it, some sit in it and others (like Tikki the sun) ignore it.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

lesliekiki

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leslie
That's fantastic. I can't wait to read that tonight. Thanks!

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
Best herbs I ever got for my birds where cinnamon and cyanne. Another good one is pepper seeds... Like you sprinkle on a pizza. They are a big hit, even with the finches!

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
Best herbs I ever got for my birds where cinnamon and cyanne. Another good one is pepper seeds... Like you sprinkle on a pizza. They are a big hit, even with the finches!
Make sure when his cinnamon you use Ceylon and not cassia. Cassia is the widely available cinnamon. You can get ceylon at health food stores or online. Cassia cinnamon is actually not very good. All the health benefits of cinnamon are far greater in Ceylon than cassia. And too much cassia is toxic.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I believe those are spices and not herbs.

lesliekiki

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leslie
Really!!! I can't believe these little birds like such spicy hot things!!!

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
I believe those are spices and not herbs.
It's a thin line. Really a spice and a herb. So many uses for both. They are both mildly antibacterial. Cinnamon can do amazing things for diabetes! Cyanne is a stimulant, to an extent. It's one of the best things to stop bleeding with!

I am hoping some more ideas pop up, I always am wanting to try new things to keep my fids happy and healthy!

lesliekiki

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leslie
Have you ever tried Brocolli Rabe? Kiki loves to eat it and pick it apart. Regular Brocolli he doesn't care for.

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
Rabe? I have not even heard of it! Wonder if it's available here..