• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is treatment needed?

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
I just bought a huge cage for my lovebirds included was 2 budgies. Im a little bit worries about the beak of one of them and l'm suspecting mites? Im going to rehome the budgies however I want to ensure that they are healthy and happy before they move. They are currently living outside as I dont want to spread the mites(if it now is mite?) to my other birds. The person I picked up the cage from also had a ringneck and 3 other budgies all looking healthy. She had this pair for 3 month and this little fellow had apperently been like this all along, with no change to it's apperence? Any thoughts are highly appriciated.

Attachments

RitaG

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rita Glasel
I would definitely have a vet check the birds for mites. I don't want to cause alarm but separating the birds is great but what about the cage? Could mites be lurking around in the cage or do they need a host? Maybe someone with more experience can answer that? I know in my experience with dogs and fleas, the environment needs to be treated as well as the animals. Good luck!

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
No worries about cage, I won't move mine into it until it's treated. The budgies are in it for now, until I know what's wrong (if anything) :)

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
His feet don't look great either, though I'm no expert. Best to get him to a vet.

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
My friend who has has budgies in the past has taken them, little one has been booked into the vet for Monday. All good :)

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Great. :) If she can, I'd get both looked at. If one has been left to get to that state with no intervention, it's quite possible the other might have a lurking problem as well.

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
She said she was going to bring cage with the both of them, I should have clarified ❤

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
:sunflower:I saw the budgies today, the blue one's beak and feet looking totally normal, he seemed happy and healthy and was singing away in the cage :sunflower: