• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

is this vasa normal?

whereisChalie

Meeting neighbors
Hello, now I'm fascinated by Vasa parrots. They are so cute and cuddly and very active!
So before I adopt them, I found there information.
I saw a column which insist Vasa tend to easily infected by PBFD(Psittacine beak and feather disease).
I didn't know about PBFD and how horrible disease before I research this.
I found a picture and some information about PBFD.

<<<< This picture is abnormal Vasa parrot. He is infected by PBFD

And this is the symptoms of Acute(and description of Vasa parrot's abnormal appearance)

Acute – mostly in nestlings or very young birds during their first phase of feather growth. There is usually a loss of powder down, with resulting shiny black beak in those birds whose beaks are usually dusty grey. There may be abnormally coloured feathers (e.g white in the normally black Vasa parrot, pink in the African Grey). Affected birds become quiet and depressed, and with a generally ‘grubby’ appearance. Many have diarrhoea, and all will succumb quickly to secondary infections. The classic manifestation of this type of PBFD is the young, recently purchased African grey parrot, showing depression, abdominal pain, bunching spasms of the legs and feet, with a post-mortem examination revealing Aspergillosis infection. This fungal invader is a common secondary problem in such an immuno-compromised bird.[Psittacine Beak & Feather Disease]

Anyway, I just read that and forgot it, before I accidentally found some Pictures in a breeder's website.

I would like to ask you about that pictures.

<<<< This is a initial picture of abnormal vasa parrot.

And this is now Status. This pictures are an abnormal vasa parrot of 2 pairs. (in this pictures are the same vasa) Others looks very healthy.

The breeder believes that he is pied Vasa parrot. but I couldn't find any information about Vasa parrot's mutations.
So made a appointment with the breeder, and I visited the his farm yesterday, and his(the Vasa) status turned like those three pictures.
even his tail was gone, but the breeder said that he is suffering molting severely.
and insist that there is no way he is infected by PBFD.
So I just heard his insistence and cameback.
How about your opinions? is this Vasa normal? or am I right?
In my country, there is no Vasas except a breeder who have 2 pairs of Vasas.
If I want to adobt a vasa, there is no options. Only through him I could adopt their juvenile as a pet.

Now I'm desperate.

There is my questions.

1. How about your opinions? is this Vasa normal?(Really he is a pied vasa?) or am I right?

2. If I'm right, what should I do? should I abandon the adoption? Others looks very healthy.

3. The breeder artificially incubate parrots.
If parents were infected by this virus, the juveniles will be 100% infected?

whereisChalie

Meeting neighbors
Thankfully, I met some advisers at another thread and I quit to adopt them from that breeder. I just hope that sometime I can meet them through other ways.