• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this set up okay? (disclaimer:Not my birds)

katrenia

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hi everyone, i've been keeping my eye out for birds of a couple breeds i'm interested in. I'm hoping to move in December or January i've got two places picked out one for each month so we'll see how it goes.

Anyway i'm learning a lot and researching and I came across these budgies for sale for $30 with cage. My instincts are telling me there is something wrong with their set up but i've never owned a bird before.

what do you guys think, and if there is something wrong what so I can avoid it in the future.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
At first glance I will say the cage is too small for two budgies. It could be used for a night cage or even an extra cage if the two birds needed to be separated. I put the newspaper over top of the grate, that way their feet are more comfortable and you do not have a grate to clean.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Looks like a 30x18x18 cage which would be the minimum for 2 budgies. They have a heated perch and a pedicure perch, so need some natural wood in there for foot health. Toys are a little lacking as not much to destroy.

Looks clean :)

I wouldn't say it's a bad set up, just needs tweaked :)

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
They need a new condo with more room for personal space!

katrenia

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
At first glance I will say the cage is too small for two budgies. It could be used for a night cage or even an extra cage if the two birds needed to be separated. I put the newspaper over top of the grate, that way their feet are more comfortable and you do not have a grate to clean.
Thank you that's good to know!

katrenia

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Looks like a 30x18x18 cage which would be the minimum for 2 budgies. They have a heated perch and a pedicure perch, so need some natural wood in there for foot health. Toys are a little lacking as not much to destroy.

Looks clean :)

I wouldn't say it's a bad set up, just needs tweaked :)
I've read that pedicure perches can be bad, is there any truth to that? and i'm glad it's not a really bad set up! :)

katrenia

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
They need a new condo with more room for personal space!
So I take it it's a matter of personal opinion from what i've read? I think i'll get a bigger cage set up for my bird(s) just based on my own preferences.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Your babies will thank you!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've read that pedicure perches can be bad, is there any truth to that? and i'm glad it's not a really bad set up! :)

Yes they can be. They should be in an area that the bird moves across but doesn't spend a lot of time on. It's the movement of the nails across the surface that dull the nails. Sitting on them for long periods can cause bumblefoot.

In this cage, since it is only one of 2 perches available, it could be a problem.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
It’s better than what some birds have. But I do agree that some changes would have to be made in order to keep them happy and healthy.

My birds have a pedicure perch, but it is located more towards the bottom of the cage and they rarely use it. I like to give them the option to use it, but it’s definitely not good for it to be a main perch.

Definitely some more toys would be great. There appears to be only 3 toys (not including that coconut hideout), all of which are plastic. Plastic toys are not bad, but other toy options are great, as well. My little ones love foraging toys and recently they discovered shredding toys. My guys currently have about 15 toys in their cage - most are shredding and foraging, but some are plastic just to give them a bunch of different options.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't think this cage is too small, at least not if they get to fly around several hours a day. You could also go out and cut some natural sticks for them to sit/climb on/gnaw at.

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
The cage looks to be the minimum size cage for two birds, if you can afford a larger cage at some point, they will be happier in it.

They do need some more toys, and you should remove the coconut shell. It can be mistaken as a nesting spot and may encourage unwanted breeding behaviour.

Yes and no. They can be beneficial for birds that need their nails trimmed, and I use them in some of my cages. However, they should NOT be left in the cage all the time. You can leave the perch in for a few days, up to a week, until the nails are trimed up. Don't leave these perches in any longer than that because it can cause foot sores if they use is as a main perch all the time.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I agree that the cage is a bit small, but if the budgies are out for most of the day it should be fine. :) My father's budgies have a small cage but he leaves their door open. They go in in their own to eat or put themselves to bed.

I do like that it's wider than it is tall. It makes what space they do have more useable. It's a shame more bird cages aren't built that way. :tup:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I do like that it's wider than it is tall. It makes what space they do have more useable. It's a shame more bird cages aren't built that way. :tup:
I've also wondered about that one. All my birds like to sit on the highest 1/3 of the cage, they'll only go down to eat. You'd thing cage designers would know that?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Lol Right? I know I'd buy a long cage on a stand where I could store their travel cages, food & extra toys and perches. :tup:

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
It depends how often they can be out of the cage. It is a little too small for them to fly in , with little toys for enrichment. I have a cage a little bigger for my two budgies, but they are usually free to roam the bird room for most of the day, and have a playstand with a pellet dish and shreddable toys attached to it as well. Once your budgies start flying on a regular basis, they love it, its great for their health and fun to watch.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
IMG_1428.JPG this is my budgie play stand

IMG_1927.JPG This is my cockatiels playground

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
that looks cool, did you make those yourself? What are the piled up spongy thingies over the swing on the budgie play stand? Do they use the stand much?

Your roof doesn't look happy to have cockatiels playing there!! :coffeescreen: