• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this safe for bird toys?

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I'm an arts and crafts person. I love to make things and I've been told I'm very creative, which comes in handy when making bird toys. I like visiting craft sections and stores. And whenever I do, I usually come out with several craft materials and supplies, most of which I have no idea what I'll make with. A couple weeks ago, I visited the craft section in Walmart and picked out two fabrics. They're called "fat quarters." They're 18" x 21". Like with most of my craft stuff, I had no idea what I was going to do with it at the time. My only original thought was I could make a pillow, but I never got around to doing it, and now I'm starting to rethink it. I was thinking that maybe I could use it for a bird toy. But only if it's safe. I'm not sure what toy I'd make, but right now I just want to figure out whether it's safe or not. Here's a picture:
image.jpeg
Does anybody have any experience with using these for bird toys? Are they safe? Thanks!

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I don't have a ton to offer...my bird likes to shred and put holes in shirts. I have seen picture of budgies with fabric toys.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I'd say not. Not too much in the way of fabrics that can be used in toys, most fray too much making it stringy thread hazard. A good fleece is about the only fabric that does not have stringy threads.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Any material that has thread fibers can and has killed birds. They ingest the fibers over time until the crop becomes distended.