• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Is this poop color normal?

pavan

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
pavan
I have fed my new parrot (it has been 1 week since I bought it at a local pet store - who say it is a male African Ringneck, Male, 4 years old), bird seeds that I bought in the store, some strawberries, pomegranates since yesterday.

I had been observing that the general color of his poop is greenish. But today, I saw it dark in color. Nearly black. I read somewhere that it is not good. I just want to get it confirmed. I am really scared! photo (3).JPG

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
African ringnecks are not commonly kept pets. Besides the one under my care, I don't know if anyone else on this forum keeps them.

As far as color goes, is it possible he ate something dark?

Shivan

Walking the driveway
It looks normal from here. The color varies with food and liquids. It's not black from what I can see, just dark. Just keep an eye, it should go back to being varied with different foods.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It doesn't look too bad. I don't have an African Ringneck- but an IRN. His poops are that color when he eats dark green leafy veggies...

pavan

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
pavan
Thanks a lot guys for the replies. I went to the pet store to show the excreta. They said the same, that it is normal and the consitancy and color is due to stress on the bird. I hope they are right. There were no avian vets on weekends around !