• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Is this normal?

Seraphenebirdo

Moving in
Real Name
Seraphene
Hi y’all! I have a 5 month old alexandrine who has been on enrofloxacin to help with a bit of a stomach bug and he’s lost a lot of weight. He was 291 grams a week ago when he was put on the medication but now he is 244 grams. He’s still eating/drinking/bathing but I’m wondering is this normal. Has anyone else’s parrot lost weight while on enrofloxacin? Any ways I’m going to keep an eye on his weight for a couple of days and make sure he’s not going down any further. If he keeps losing weight I’ll take him back to the vet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Enrofloxacin has the propensity to make a bird nauseous and that could be the reason that he is losing weight. Any antibiotic kills not only the bad bacteria, but the good bacteria as well and he may need some probiotics to help him digest the food he's eating.

Is he having any other symptoms? There is the possibility that the stomach problem is a fungus instead of a bacteria and antibiotics have no effect on fungus. A fungus infection would need a fungicide.

These are some things that you can discuss with your veterinarian.

And welcome to AA.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad he's okay. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼