• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent is this normal?

nouraa7

Moving in
my new pineapple gcc has a splayed leg it's almost three months old but i realised it's has one wing looking higher than the other and for some reason his breast bone looks like it's kinda out even when i touch it help

Blue-Wing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob
does it look normal
I'm no vet, and am new to keeping birds myself (budgies), but I have done some reading on potential diseases and stuff that can affect birds. To me this sounds like a tumor in his/her body. As I said though I am only going off what I have barely read. It could be anything, or it may be nothing... That is why it is best to have a bird expert look at it (as in a veterinarian with avian training; or at least a vet)... if there is one in your area and you can afford it. Give me a few and I will try and re-post the link here. It's here on this website under the bird columns listing all the different species of birds. You can simply click on your paticular species of bird and look for it under that.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Is the bird acting okay, eating, moving around, etc? How long have you had him? Was the wing, leg, breast like that when you got him? You should probably take him to see an avian vet, which is a good idea anyway with any new bird. I hope he's okay!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's hard to tell anything from the photo. If you are concerned about your conure then best thing to do is take him to the vet.

Blue-Wing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob
To be honest I cannot see anything obviously wrong. Truth is the camera just doesn't do justice to seeing what you are seeing, and I'm no trained professional either. Another possibility is that birds conceal their problems well, as it is in self-defense of predators, because they pick off the small and weak. Lastly, birds could simply be asymptomatic, meaning they carry an illness but show no signs of it. You, I, and anyone else untrained in avian medicine or at least a vet could simply just keep guessing at it all day long. It's why everyone keeps telling you to see a vet. They can run tests, see things we cannot, and provide treatment if necessary and available. Thing is, if something is wrong and you or anyone unknowingly for sure do a self-diagnosis and then try and treat what you guessed it might be could actually do more harm, if not become fatal to the bird. Best leave it to the professionals.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
So like others are saying..........can't really tell by looking at the photo, Avian vet should be able to make a diagnosis. Judging by what you have described, I'm wondering if it's just some kind of birth defect that you can easily work around. Does he/she perch alright? Hopefully it's not a tumor or a disease process.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
please see a avian vet

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
If you haven't taken your bird to a vet now is the perfect time. A comprehensive physical exam will help determine any abnormalities and the vet will be able to address all your concerns at the visit.

Your pictures make it very difficult to evaluate anything. I can tell you have a greenie but that's about it.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
The pics don't raise any major concern. The keel bone should be felt but not sticking out to where it's a ridge you can place fingers on each side of.... not sure if you are referring to the keel bone....

As far as splay leg and the wing, possible injury from mishandling if hand fed.

As others have mentioned, a vet visit is a great idea. And tracking weight of a baby is pretty standard. But seeing your vet with any new bird is a basic, you wanted a baseline so your vet can help with any future changes or worries.

peppermint

Meeting neighbors
How's the bird?
An obvious chest bone means he's underweight. [my vet freaked out on me when he saw my crow, and started force feeding him right then and there]

i agree with the others: go see an avian vet, especially if he's not really eating, playing, and generally being active.
wishing you the best.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It looks like there is a lump or swelling peripheral to the leg. Is this what you are refering to? Is it painful to the bird? I think I would have a vet look at it.