• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this Lovie a fit?

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
Hi All!

I am new still. I was originally getting a cockatiel but the rescue adopted her out from under me. I continued my reading and my research and still wanted to get a tiel.

That is until a friend found a little male lovebird who needs a new home. I called the owner she said he is 1.5 years old, a spunky little guy with a sweet personality. She is an older woman who is downsizing, she has his parents and sister and is keeping them. This little male was separated when he lost all his feathers...

She wants $30 for him and I have had a love bird before- he was a bald little guy too and just as cute as could be. He was my buddy (helped with homework- left my "favorite" teacher little gifts on the essays, lol), I had a Bonded pair too at the same time (my aunt had three and gave them all to me)- they could not be touched, so I naturally attached to my little Bubby. Was he just a fluke or are all males like him?

I don't want to make a hastey choice but this little guy needs to go soon I geuss. I have a nice size cage set up for a tiel that he can easily live in :)

Thoughts?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Go git that boy.

I have absolutely no bias towards lovebirds I swear on my life.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think you should meet him and see what you think. Why did he lose his feathers? Plucking? Just be cautious that it's not a health issue but it sounds like the little guy needs a good home. If you've had a lovie before then you have a good idea of what you're in for. Every bird is different so it's hard to say exactly what he'll be like. Lovies are generally spunky little birds.

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
She said he was stressed and picked on by his sister. The feathers are growing back now. I am hoping she calls back so I can meet him tomorrow or Sunday. My bird friend is coming too- she has 2 lovies a tiel and an african grey. She would know what to ask and what to look for.

Yes! My little Bubby before was a spunky little turd. He was such a sweet sweet boy. I didn't care that he was bald where as my aunt thought he was ugly! Made me mad. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to me he was beautiful :3

Last edited:

Aviana

Strolling the yard
If you meet him you will know.

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
If the lady will let me meet him... She is giving me the run around. I am thinking she just doesn't want to part with him. I am starting to wonder if there is a bird out there for me. I will keep you guys posted!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
If the lady will let me meet him... She is giving me the run around. I am thinking she just doesn't want to part with him. I am starting to wonder if there is a bird out there for me. I will keep you guys posted!
There is a bird out there for you! It took me 4 tries before I found my lovie.. that was two weeks ago...

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
I'm thinking it might be prudent to have a vet visit and have this little guy tested because of his baldness history. Especially in light of what Brian ( Double Take) went through recently with testing his prospective Lovebirds. Also, a little suspicious of why she is giving you the runaround now. Good luck.........there are lots of birds out there that need good homes.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Don't give up on him! The lady who sold me my Freddie gave me a bit of a run-around, too. She told me she wanted to keep him then changed her mind.

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
She isn't answering my calls or returning them. I wonder if something happened?

Right now I am setting up a cage for one of my mom's budgies that keeps getting picked on. I am not sure how I will do with a keet it's been forever since I had one. These guys are all older... Not aure how tameable they are.

Maybe those are the ones I need to give my time to. Someday I would love a teil vut lovies are just wonderful too. I so miss my guy

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
I brought home the new baby on Saturday! I will have to get pictures up of him and his cage for you all to see!

I think I have settled on the name Malachai. I miss understood what the lady was saying- Malachai is a peach face and he has all his feathers! He's a beautiful boy. He got loose at the lady's house and when we caught him he wasnt even biting!

He is Not a fan of action movies... We where watching Pacific Rim and where there was fighting he was giving the movie his what-for!

I am worried that he hasnt eaten yet... Maybe he will while I am at work... I dunno when I should start to worry?

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Congrats on your new baby boy! Was he DNA'd sexed? I would definitely check the food bowl when you come home. Make sure that you see empty seed husks at the top, this will mean he is eating. Do you have a food scale that measures grams? I'm still weighing my little 4 month old. I sometimes wish my little girl was active and more vocal but she only talks when she is looking for me(when I'm not in the room) or she enjoys talking to my birds. If she isnt eating, playing or talking she is sleeping in my shirt...

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
No DNA testing so I am not sure if he is a he or if she has a he name from an 80s horror flick lol

I am worried... There is no t even a dent in his food... He hasnt eaten since coming home Saturday evening. I am getting very very worried... He has barely left his little nest house... Came out to sit on the ladder but that's all. Wont even go for millet. Should I put a strand of millet in the nest house to get something on his belly incase it's just that he doesn't wanna leave the hut yet?

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
Malachai still wasn't eating... I sent him home with a friend who handles birds. I hope she can pull him through.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh I’m sorry! I hope he does okay for your friend. Were you feeding him what he was accustomed to eating?

Are you planning to get him back?

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Try giving some food he/she is use to eating also keep a portion of the cage covered till your bird settles in. I would also get your new bird to the vet for a check up to make sure everything is okay. The feather loss thing has me a bit worried.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please still take your new friend for an avian vet exam.

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
He has all of his feathers it was the other that didn't. There was only one of 4 birds that lost her feathers.

I dont know if I will get him back. He is having fun there very active and eating... The only difference is environment and he was my only bird. She has 4 birds not all the same kind though. He is eating what I gave him now too. I think its enviroment. Will see what is best for him... May noy get him back

Last edited:

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
My lovebird I brought home was very quiet and inactive for the first few days. I started playing lovebird videos on youtube for her and that got her excited. She eventually would fly to me to watch after a day. 2 day later she just flies to me on my own and always wanted to be on me. Now she is a velcro bird. I would take your baby back when it is at a good weight and maintaining that weight. You two deserve a 2nd shot.