• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this kind of rope safe to make toys with? What rope is safe?

ReNap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsey
I dunno if this should go in safety page or in the toys page since I'm asking about toy safety lol--

The larger is sisal and the smaller is jute twine. Are these safe with how frayed they are or are they too frayed and pose too many problems? Mostly for toys that would be used when out of the cage on a playgym rather than unattended in a cage

I've never tried making toys until now, whats a good safe rope to use for toys? Cotton, sisal, jute, ect?

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sisal, jute, hemp, leather and poly rope are generally safe.
Depends on the source, though. Some ropes are coated with oil/chemicals and are not safe for birds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yep you need to make sure they are natural/unoiled. The fray is fine but if it gets too long trim it back to make sure it can't tangle around toes. I don't like working with sisal because it's quite abrasive and is hard on my hands!

I use primarily paper rope, leather lace, and superior polly rope. Anything listed at Welcome to cabirdnerds.com - is safe :)

ReNap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsey
@iamwhoiam @Mizzely Thanks! The frays coming off and being eaten isn't much of an issue then, just fraying too long to get tangled around feet and such?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well you don't want them eating any non food items. I've never had a bird eat anything they weren't supposed to. If they are ingesting it, remove it

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm using natural cotton. (Cotton warp thread)

ReNap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsey
Is poly rope just multifilament polypropylene? Aka ”derby rope”?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When are you getting your bird, btw?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
No. Per the manufacturer: "Superior Poly Rope is a 100% polyethylene plastic cordage. Polyethylene is a nontoxic plastic in its solid state so it is deemed safe for use in the manufacture of bird toys. It is also washable.

The unique twist of this Superior Poly Rope prevents unsafe lengths of fray. Also, polyethylene fibers do not have a "memory" like other rope; this prevents entrapment and limb strangulation caused by fibers such as nylon or unsafe cotton rope."

ReNap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsey
Okay for ya, thank you guys! I was wondering about the muktifilament kind because it was at the store down the street from me and I’ve not looked into poly rope before so didn’t know the difference in types. Thanks for that link to the safe ropes. Toys can be so expensive so figuring out how to make safe ones seems the less bank breaking option.

@iamwhoiam She will be 3 months old on the 4th of August, so after making sure she’s fully weaned and good to go probably sometime in mid August or so generally speaking. Possibly September depending on the temperatures. Delta isn’t shipping animals in over 80 degrees so might have to wait til it cools down in September if August ends up too hot. The wait is getting grueling but keeping busy in the mean time getting other little things done, like looking into making toys :D

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry that you might have to wait longer than you thought but good thing Delta isn't shipping when the weather is hot. Is the breeder updating you with photos and/or videos?

ReNap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsey
Yeah I’d rather wait out the heat than have her arrive a rotisserie chicken haha. Yep she has, here’s some of the recent ones 47F9D7D5-EF74-4FFA-8FCD-0BF08D075B86.jpeg B6008D03-9B71-4783-AF5B-C373BE082275.jpeg

And one of my favorite, she looks like a little psycho! 6E222ABA-AE73-4BA5-BBB1-CF6399DFDD81.jpeg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's very cute. She doesn't look very happy in the last photo. Growling at the camera or begging for food. :)

ReNap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsey
Yeah she was begging for food. But is a cute picture sooo.. proud of her for taking one for the team!! :p

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Roar or a red belly!!!

I'd use veggie tanned leather string. Not a fan of even the long string cotton & poly

Even a SS skewer can make =great toys & is reusable!!!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Oh she is adorable!!!