• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Is this bumblefoot?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m glad the vet visit went well, and I hope she gets better quickly!

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
I'm glad you took her to the vet. I wish they would stop selling those sand perches. They really are too rough for a little bird's feet. I hope she's better soon.
She's not limping that much anymore. The scab is still there but he the ver did mess with the scab a little so he said that's why she bled a little. But I'm seeing little Improvements :fairy2:

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Update. Hey guys. I'm sharing some pictures of my birds feet. Its going to be a long road to recovery. The vet said it might take of couple of months for it to fully heal. But on the.bright side, I'm seeing a difference. It's not huge but already its not spreading or getting worse.

Before
IMG-20180928-WA0012.jpg

Today IMG-20181003-WA0002.jpg

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh, that looks bad, did he give her an antibiotic? Get rid of those sand perches, if you have them. Use some vet wrap and wrap, thickly all remaining perches, you can get it pretty cheap at Walmart ,also increase her protein, and ask your vet for this, its fabulous, put on twice a day till healed, it's about 30 to 50 dollars a tube, depending upon your vets prices.
20181003_154023.jpg

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yikes, that does look like a fairly bad case, but I can see the improvement already too!

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Oh, that looks bad, did he give her an antibiotic? Get rid of those sand perches, if you have them. Use some vet wrap and wrap, thickly all remaining perches, you can get it pretty cheap at Walmart ,also increase her protein, and ask your vet for this, its fabulous, put on twice a day till healed, it's about 30 to 50 dollars a tube, depending upon your vets prices.
View attachment 287076
No its actually healing. The first picture is before and the other one was taken today. Yes he prescribed her gentamicin, and an antibacterial medicine and vetericyn. I got rid of all the bad perches. Ita a bad case of bumble foot but it will heal if I'm being consistent with the meds

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Omg this is good to know. I almost got one of those cement perches, and I did consider a sand perch. I didn't think they could bother his skin, but that makes sense! He's got a calcium perch he sleeps on, and a 1 1/2" dowel perch that I clean with bleach & hot water when I clean his cage. When he's out of his cage he has all soft places to sit. The lovebirds have all different things some hard some soft and never had problems with them. So concerned about their feet.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Lol @finchly.......I just said to Burt Now there is a good reason for him to let me check his feet more than once every day :)

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Update. It's been about 2 weeks since her visit to the vet. I'm a little sad that her feet aren't healing as faster as we thought it would. The vet did say I won't see any results until mid October and complete healing until December. Her feet just keep scabbing and not giving a chance for her feet to heal. I apply the antibiotic, antibacterial ointment and veterycin everyday. On the bright side she's walking (alot lol) and in the heat. I'm thinking that maybe it's scabbing because it's not covered in a wrap. And moist wound healing encourages cell growth faster than dry healing. This is why her feet keep scabbing. The scabs are pretty thick and firm to the pad. They're not red and loose, though I do see a little pealing of the scab. We've started giving her a epsom salt soak and I think that's what's helping peal the scab little by little. The weather's getting colder and there's not much humid. We're using a humidifier hoping that would create moisture in the environment. Her feet are too small and delicate for the wrap. What is an alternative?
Also, I did some research about moist wound healing, an ingredient that I found that can kill new cell growth is sodium hydrochlorite and that's one of the ingredients in veterycin.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
She was always on that concrete type perch that's supposed keep nails and beak in shape she would even sleep on it. And the only dowel perch in her cage is in her no mess food bowl. There's also a rope perch but she doesnt sleep on it very often.
Most birds prefer to sleep on the highest perch in their cage; it makes them feel more secure. Try making the rope perch or a vet wrapped perch the highest one and she'll probably use it more. :)

Omg this is good to know. I almost got one of those cement perches, and I did consider a sand perch.
Those perches aren't bad if they're used correctly. All of our birds have at least 1 cement or pumice perch in or on their cage, but they're never a primary perch. Buzzard's is on the outside of his cage at my arm level. That's where he comes to be picked up or to take a treat. He isn't on there long, just enough to smooth out the sharp points. It's a huge arm saver!

I'm a little sad that her feet aren't healing as faster as we thought it would. The vet did say I won't see any results until mid October and complete healing until December.
Slow healing is better than not healing or getting worse. I'm so glad you took her to the vet. :thumbsup: So happy to hear that she's starting to feel better a little better already!

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
If you're referring to the vet wrap, it's not for her foot but for perches to make them softer
Sorry, should have used a better word. I meant to say a wrap that's used to cover her wound. We tried to cover her feet today and unfortunately it didn't work. She's very tiny. So I was hoping it there was an alternative to moist wound healing

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I had a bird that we never really knew what caused his foot injury but what was very helpful was Hagen Clay Cal, that we would moisten with warm water and make a thick paste which was applied to his feet, but in his case his feet were wrapped with gauze and then vet wrap and next day was given water therapy dried well and reapply clay cal, took a long process but it was a life saver and he fully recovered