• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Is this bumblefoot?

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
20180926_002742.jpg 20180925_214659.jpg 20180926_002742.jpg 20180925_214659.jpg 20180925_214659.jpg I posted this picture on a cockatiel page on facebook and alot of people said it looks like bumblefoot. I have changed her gritty perch to natural perches. She was always on that concrete type perch that's supposed keep nails and beak in shape she would even sleep on it. And the only dowel perch in her cage is in her no mess food bowl. There's also a rope perch but she doesnt sleep on it very often. And when shes not on the gritty perch, she's sitting on a sand/grainy type perch. I'm going to take her to the vet soon but fir now I really need advice

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It could very well be the start of bumblefoot. I would make all the perches soft until it heals, either by replacing them with rope perches or covering them in vet wrap. I would also put a towel on the bottom of the cage. You basically want everything that foot touches to be soft. I’m glad your going to the vet, because sometimes bumblefoot can cause an infection, in which case antibiotics would be needed. I had a tiel who had the beginnings of bumblefoot, and after I made her cage cushy, it went away after two weeks. Definitely go to the vet though.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
It could very well be the start of bumblefoot. I would make all the perches soft until it heals, either by replacing them with rope perches or covering them in vet wrap. I would also put a towel on the bottom of the cage. You basically want everything that foot touches to be soft. I’m glad your going to the vet, because sometimes bumblefoot can cause an infection, in which case antibiotics would be needed. I had a tiel who had the beginnings of bumblefoot, and after I made her cage cushy, it went away after two weeks. Definitely go to the vet though.
What did your tiel's bumblefoot look like and was it on both feet? Thanks I will do that!

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm currently dealing with bumblefoot in my bird, but his is pink and smooth-looking, even though I've made modifications and he's on meds. Other than him, I've never seen bumblefoot before, but it could very well be the case in your bird. You could pad everything with fleece, and maybe get rid of those rough perches.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My bird had it on both feet, and she got it from one of those safety pumice perches. She had a little black spot on each foot. Your bird’s looks a little more spread out than my bird’s was. When it’s light pink that’s the very, very beginning (or end).

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Either a "severe" case of bumblefoot or some other serious infection. This needs treatment. Please go to the vet.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Agreed the avian vet should be called.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
I have sprayed vetricyn on her feet. It's supposed to keep bacteria from coming back and it soothes her skin. I'll keep you guys updated

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My sisters amazon suffered from it. Dowel perches were a huge problem for him, they made it so much worse.
Natural branches really helped him. A vet visit for infection too.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you go to the vet and, if so, what was the outcome?

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
What can I cover perches with that won't slip?

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
You can cover with vetwrap winding around it, but you need to check regularly for any loose threads or fibers. I think someone else on the forum [sorry I forgot who] also mentioned bird-safe leather wrap-around being a longer-term possibility as well, a plus is that it doesn't get entangling fibers, but the cost is higher.

Reminder to disinfect the cage too.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Ok. Thanks. I'll see what I can find! ☺

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:omg:...does not look good! Really never saw bumble foot but that looks like some scaly crusty thing that needs to be checked out. Its a massive patch covering most of the underside of her foot...

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Hey guys so we finally took her to the best yesterday. We've been using vetericyn for two days and that seems to be helping a little. Although the best is t an avian vet, he is an exotic animal vet and has seen birds with bumblefoot. He looked under the microscope to see what was going on. He said it is like bumblefoot because it's in the heel of feet where its swollen. And this is only his second time sewing bumblefoot on that area on a bird. He then told us to stop using sand perches but he was wondering why the scabs were on the ankle area. The only I think could've cause this injury was when she flew and hit the side of her nose. I think her feet rubbed against the carpet really bad that it left her skin red and swollen. Or she poked skin accidentally with her nails. She eats with her feet alot. She used to have really long and nails. They did trim her nails yesterday. She's been given an eye ointment that anti bacterial and he said to use it 2x a day along with vetericyn 4x a day. And he said it's going to be hard because we're gonna have to be persistent and I'm not gonn as see improvements right away. But he said these treatments should help as long as we get rid of what was causing her feet to be like this.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad you took her to the vet. I wish they would stop selling those sand perches. They really are too rough for a little bird's feet. I hope she's better soon.