1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Is this bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by krupali, 9/25/18.

1. krupali

krupali Strolling the yard

krupali
    20180926_002742.jpg 20180925_214659.jpg 20180926_002742.jpg 20180925_214659.jpg 20180925_214659.jpg I posted this picture on a cockatiel page on facebook and alot of people said it looks like bumblefoot. I have changed her gritty perch to natural perches. She was always on that concrete type perch that's supposed keep nails and beak in shape she would even sleep on it. And the only dowel perch in her cage is in her no mess food bowl. There's also a rope perch but she doesnt sleep on it very often. And when shes not on the gritty perch, she's sitting on a sand/grainy type perch. I'm going to take her to the vet soon but fir now I really need advice

Last edited: 9/25/18
    faislaq likes this.
  2. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Deanna
    It could very well be the start of bumblefoot. I would make all the perches soft until it heals, either by replacing them with rope perches or covering them in vet wrap. I would also put a towel on the bottom of the cage. You basically want everything that foot touches to be soft. I’m glad your going to the vet, because sometimes bumblefoot can cause an infection, in which case antibiotics would be needed. I had a tiel who had the beginnings of bumblefoot, and after I made her cage cushy, it went away after two weeks. Definitely go to the vet though.

geff, faislaq, finchly and 4 others like this.
  3. krupali

krupali
    What did your tiel's bumblefoot look like and was it on both feet? Thanks I will do that!

4. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna
  5. krupali

krupali
    Bump

6. Brittany0208

Brittany0208 Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue I Can't Stop Posting!

Brittany
    I'm currently dealing with bumblefoot in my bird, but his is pink and smooth-looking, even though I've made modifications and he's on meds. Other than him, I've never seen bumblefoot before, but it could very well be the case in your bird. You could pad everything with fleece, and maybe get rid of those rough perches.

faislaq and krupali like this.
  7. krupali

krupali
    Bump

8. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Deanna
    My bird had it on both feet, and she got it from one of those safety pumice perches. She had a little black spot on each foot. Your bird’s looks a little more spread out than my bird’s was. When it’s light pink that’s the very, very beginning (or end).

faislaq and krupali like this.
  9. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    Either a "severe" case of bumblefoot or some other serious infection. This needs treatment. Please go to the vet.

geff, faislaq, Crazy4parrots and 8 others like this.
  10. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    Agreed the avian vet should be called.

krupali likes this.
  11. krupali

krupali
    Hi guys, I have given her an Epsom salt bath. Shes still in alot of pain but we have set up an appointment for tomorrow.

geff, Hankmacaw and Brittany0208 like this.
  12. krupali

krupali
    I have sprayed vetricyn on her feet. It's supposed to keep bacteria from coming back and it soothes her skin. I'll keep you guys updated

iamwhoiam likes this.
  13. macawpower58

macawpower58 Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

My sisters amazon suffered from it. Dowel perches were a huge problem for him, they made it so much worse.
    Natural branches really helped him. A vet visit for infection too.

faislaq and Hankmacaw like this.
  14. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Did you go to the vet and, if so, what was the outcome?

krupali likes this.
  15. EkkieLu

EkkieLu Jogging around the block I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Tricia
    What can I cover perches with that won't slip?

faislaq likes this.
  16. Gazimon

Gazimon Walking the driveway

You can cover with vetwrap winding around it, but you need to check regularly for any loose threads or fibers. I think someone else on the forum [sorry I forgot who] also mentioned bird-safe leather wrap-around being a longer-term possibility as well, a plus is that it doesn't get entangling fibers, but the cost is higher.

Reminder to disinfect the cage too.

geff, faislaq and EkkieLu like this.
  17. EkkieLu

EkkieLu Jogging around the block I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Tricia
    Ok. Thanks. I'll see what I can find! ☺

18. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

:omg:...does not look good! Really never saw bumble foot but that looks like some scaly crusty thing that needs to be checked out. Its a massive patch covering most of the underside of her foot...

krupali likes this.
  19. krupali

krupali
    Hey guys so we finally took her to the best yesterday. We've been using vetericyn for two days and that seems to be helping a little. Although the best is t an avian vet, he is an exotic animal vet and has seen birds with bumblefoot. He looked under the microscope to see what was going on. He said it is like bumblefoot because it's in the heel of feet where its swollen. And this is only his second time sewing bumblefoot on that area on a bird. He then told us to stop using sand perches but he was wondering why the scabs were on the ankle area. The only I think could've cause this injury was when she flew and hit the side of her nose. I think her feet rubbed against the carpet really bad that it left her skin red and swollen. Or she poked skin accidentally with her nails. She eats with her feet alot. She used to have really long and nails. They did trim her nails yesterday. She's been given an eye ointment that anti bacterial and he said to use it 2x a day along with vetericyn 4x a day. And he said it's going to be hard because we're gonna have to be persistent and I'm not gonn as see improvements right away. But he said these treatments should help as long as we get rid of what was causing her feet to be like this.

20. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Michelle
    I'm glad you took her to the vet. I wish they would stop selling those sand perches. They really are too rough for a little bird's feet. I hope she's better soon.

geff, faislaq, Nancy B and 2 others like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)