• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this beak growth normal?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The shedding is normal. But has your bird been to a vet? The beak has some characteristics of overgrowth that is characteristic for liver disease. If you take him or her to a vet and have him do a CBC and Chem Panel it will tell you whether he has liver disease or not. Even if he/she doesn't have liver disease he/she definately needs a beak trim.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I believe that as the beak grows it sheds the top layers.
When was the last time you had his beak trimmed?

Savannah

Meeting neighbors
He has never had his beak trimmed. Hes almost 5 years old. Definitely does not have liver disease. Hes healthy and active. I think he just needs to get his beak trimmed for the first time. I dont wanna put him through that. Can I file it?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
you are better off let the vet take care of the trimming. that way the vet is bad guy and not you. if you great relationship with your bird, let the vet take care of it.

SeverelySweet

Sprinting down the street
you are better off let the vet take care of the trimming. that way the vet is bad guy and not you. if you great relationship with your bird, let the vet take care of it.
Yes, definitely let the vet do it...not only does it make the vet the bad guy, but they can also make sure that the beak is growing properly and is in good condition. I will occasionally take Syd to Judy for grooming (services came free with his adoption), but I prefer to pay the $30 to have it done by the vet. Besides, the vet can safely trim it down much lower, usually,

Savannah

Meeting neighbors
we dont have many avian vets around here. The ones we do have arent really truly trained in avian medicine very well.

Savannah

Meeting neighbors
His beak is not long. Hes a macaw, its suppose to be the length it is. I was only concerned about the layers.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best