• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there anything wrong with a canary and dove living together?

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
They're great pals, and eat their own food and grit. I went to a pet store and mentioned that I was buying something for the two of them, and the woman got quite upset because they have different grit and diet needs, I don't see the problem with it though?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm not familiar with their diet needs, but I know the rescue I volunteer at had a canary and 2 diamond doves housed together and there didn't seem to be a problem.

@Birdbabe ?

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
I'm not familiar with their diet needs, but I know the rescue I volunteer at had a canary and 2 diamond doves housed together and there didn't seem to be a problem.

@Birdbabe ?
Well, like I said they eat different diets, that's why this confused me. I feel like there is something in the aviculture community I missed?

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Back in the stone ages it was a belief our birds need grit. They don't, so stop that practice as we feed foods that are palatable and don't require it.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm pretty sure it's a requirement for doves?
No, it's not. I've had doves for years, never had grit, they can over consume it leading to "starvation" problems. If you feed them seed, pellets and fresh grass, as in wheatgrass, and shaved broccoli florets, they'll be fine.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
http://nilesanimalhospital.com/files/2012/05/Grit-2013.pdf

Grit
Peter S. Sakas DVM,MS
Niles Animal Hospital and Bird Medical Center
7278 N. Milwaukee Ave. Niles, Ill. 60714
(847)-647-9325 FAX 847-647-9498
Niles Animal Hospital & Bird Medical Center

Grit is a controversial subject. The most important consideration is that "grit" itself is not a mineral source, rather it
is a means to aid in the digestion of food. Birds will eat bits of stone (or the gravel in grit) which will then collect in
the gizzard (the second stomach of the bird). Food material enters the proventriculus (first stomach), is mixed with
acids and continues into the gizzard where, with the assistance of grit and the hard, thickened lining of the gizzard,
the food is ground up. The grit will then remain in the gizzard for long periods of time and does not need to be
constantly replenished.
Do pet birds need grit to digest their food? No, generally they do not. Birds in the wild that eat hard foods require
grit, but the diets we provide for our pet birds do not necessarily need grit to aid in their digestion. We have seen
numerous birds in our practice that have never had grit provided to them in their lifetime and still digest their food
adequately. Conversely, on rare occasions we have seen birds that were poorly digesting their food and the addition
of grit seemed to help.
Birds do seem to enjoy grit and its presence has psychological benefits. My belief is that grit provided occasionally
is fine and probably beneficial. It should be provided in a separate feed cup, not added into the food. Grit once a
week for a short period of time is reasonable. If possible mineral grit is preferred as the minerals provided in addition
to the grit is a definite nutritional requirement, the gravel possessing no nutritive value. Larger birds will chew lava
stones and similar objects.
If a bird is eating excessive amounts of grit it could indicate a digestive tract disturbance or nutritional deficiency
(perhaps a mineral deficiency). Sometimes bird owners believe the bird is eating when actually it may only be eating
grit and not their food. Play close attention by monitoring their droppings. Excessive ingestion of grit could lead to
impaction and/or blockage.
If a bird is being provided grit as a mineral source it could be shortchanging the bird nutritionally. Plain grit provides
no needed minerals for the bird-mineral grit is preferred. Other excellent sources of minerals include, cuttlebone,
mineral block, crushed oyster shells, bones, crushed egg shells, milk, cheese, and commercial preparations such as,
Osteoform and Calciquid. Make sure the bird is provided with a source of minerals as it is one of the most common
deficiencies we see in pet birds.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Interesting article. I asked every breeder I got a canary from if they needed grit and I was told they did not need grit, but they did need a calcium and mineral supplement like they sell in cakes and lumps, ie: Manu Minerals, the lava rocks are just for beak shaping, not minerals or vitamins, but there are also veggie supplement lumps and iodine supplement lumps and now flavored calcium formed cuttle-bone shaped lumps. My canaries like the manu mineral "mud" lumps the best.

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
Interesting. I was told by a vet I used to volunteer at that doves and pigeons NEED grit, and live longer lives with it. They said they had seen many that has done great for years, but would eventually get ill. He also recommended it for some chickens, but there were many many many chickens in that area.

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
i think a dove and canary housed together is fine. i only recently found out myself that grit is not needed. the books i read were wrong.