• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there any hope for my Ring Neck Bird?

Nobirdsforme

Checking out the neighborhood
I acquired Bob, the Rink Neck Bird in 2013. His previous owner had him since he was born (2000), neglected him and gave him away. I thought the poor thing needed a home and since my brother had adopted another Ring Neck that was sweet, talked and looked just like Bob, I took him. Unfortunately, the two birds only looked alike. I love the bird as I do all animals, but I learned that just because an animal needs a home, doesn't mean that I am the right home for that pet. I don't have the time that this bird requires to "tame" him, if that is even possible at this point. He is as wild as anything out in the jungle. I let him out of his cage every day. If I don't he starts yelling. Then when I get close to the cage or to him he lunges at me to bite. I can touch him as long as I am wearing my jacket. He will climb on my jacket. If he sees my hand, he will lunge to bite. I can't let him climb on my arm (with the jacket" because he will lunge at my face. He has bitten my face, my ear, my lip to the point of dripping blood on the floor because he always seems to bite into a capillary. I am at wits end and sometimes wish I could let him loose outside. Someone asked to adopt him and I would not dare give him to an inexperienced person who could end up killing him because Bob can be so mean - but I get tempted to rid of him (God forgive me for thinking this way about your creation). I am a strong person, have been bitten by dogs, cats, my blind Cockatiel and canary, and Bob is the only animal that has ever made me cry. I don't understand why I get so emotional when he bites me, I literally start crying as I am wiping the blood off of me and the floor. I feel he is unhappy and deserves better. Now, I am afraid of him - I don't know what to do for Bob at this point. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that you're having a such a tough time with Bob. It's admirable that you took him in. There is no shame in rehoming a bird if it is not the right fit for you. If you do not have the time for him, etc. it is completely understandable. Of course, as long as you can find a good home for him which can be a challenge. But if you want to keep him, we're all here to help. I probably am not the best for advice because I've never had a difficult bird but others here will be able to help. Also, Barbara Heidenreich does some great training vidoes/advice. I'll try to find a link but if you do a search on our forum I'm sure you'll find some already posted. And I know it's hard not to- but try not to be afraid him. I believe parrots sense our fears and frustration. Is he flighted? What is his diet like? Does he play with toys?

Last edited:

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I'm afraid I have no advice but can tell you you're not alone in having an animal you feel stuck with and I understand your emotions. I have a30 year old horse that I've had since he was one. He has never suffered abuse of any kind but he doesn't like people and he's so lazy it hurts so he was never much fun to ride. Now I've kept him till no one would want him and I'm not going to let him end up at the killers. It costs money and takes time in all kinds of weather to properly care for him and I get no appreciation from him. I get that feeling that if he got out and left I wouldn't want to look for him (but I would). He could live 10 more years and I feel guilty that I hope he doesn't. I have felt I would risk my life for the birds, cats and other horses I've had but it's so hard to feel good about something that regects me totally. You love bob so I hope someone can help you with him and things will get better. Just know you're not alone

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
@Nobirdsforme Are you still with us?

There's always hope and things that can be done.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
As Sunnysmom stated here are the links for Goodbird Inc Parrot Digital Media | Online Parrot Media ...look at number 3. Solutions for Biting and Aggressive Behavior in Companion Parrots and number 8. Training Rescued and Re-Homed Parrots ... they are the best ones for the problems you are having ...best of luck :)