• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is the Honeymoon over?

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I am in a grumpy mood and stressed, so please bear with me. I am probably worrying too much about something I shouldn't. What else is new right?

My Dad and his wife are coming again next month. Last visit resulted in stressed Rhoma and Rhema from the loud TV and new people in general. While they handled it great, I do not want them going through the stress of the loud TV again. I cleaned out the "pool" room and put all three bird cages in front of the large louvered windows. Great place to watch the happenings in the back yard and I thought they would enjoy it.

This was the first time that Ernie would be so close to the other 2 birds. They have been in the same room, but opposite sides until now. He has shown so much interest in everything they do so I thought he would enjoy finally being so close. BOY, WAS I WRONG!!

He has done nothing but show his sass since I put him next to them. Fluffs up, does a very scary display, does not want head scratches, has charged the sides when I try to cover the cages at night. I put some grass mats on the side of Rhema's cage to try and limit his view and reduce the displays. It didn't work. I tried to let him have out time, and that was a disaster. I ended up putting him back in his cage, step up stick and all. He had tried to jump to the other cage, landed on the floor. When I got him to step up on the stick, he attacked it so roughly, he would not let go. He was so angry and I figured it best to put him back in the cage. I had to put the stick in the cage, with him still attacking it, and just close the door to let him climb off after he finished his tantrum.

Tonight I moved the cage away from the others. He is still in the same room, but on the other side of the room away from the windows, away from Rhoma and Rhema. The room is smaller than my living room where they were before, so still much closer than before the move. I fear for their safety and the safety of my hands.

He is absolutely NOT motivated by food or head scritches right now. Should I give him more time to settle down? Move him back to the living room? I can move him closer to another window yet still further away from Rho and Rheems, after I finish cleaning out the room, but it will have to be this weekend before I can do it. Any advice on an aggressive Sennie to help me out? Please?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would say it has more to do with the new room than the being closer together. New territory. No established familiar territory. etc.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Do you think he will settle down? This is a new room for all of them, except in passing through.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Let him out for a bit before bed tonight. He did well, until he jumped again. At his shadow on the wall. And landed on the floor and threw another temper tantrum. :facepalm:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Senegal throws a bit of a tantrum when he doesn't like something or something scares him. Puffs himself out and sways back and forth. Ernie may not like the room change, he may not like being near the GCCs, he may be hormonal ??? Jake's "tantrums" only last a few mins., though, and then he is back to being sweet Jake.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
New room but I would move him as far as possible from the other two just for safety...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
New room but I would move him as far as possible from the other two just for safety...
Definitely keep them far apart. If he is on the warpath you don't want a problem. My guy is all show...."the bark is bigger than the bite", so to speak.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Definitely keep them far apart. If he is on the warpath you don't want a problem. My guy is all show...."the bark is bigger than the bite", so to speak.
He is across the room now. Once I finish the clean out, he will have a smaller window all to himself. He did much better tonight now that he is not next to them. We managed to let all three out of cages for a good long time tonight. All in separate rooms, but all three went to bed much happier. I think I need to make a third bird play gym to put in the third room. All three cages were cleaned with no stress from Ernie. I had to sing "How much is that Birdie in the window" repeatedly while I cleaned his cage, but he sang and danced and loved every minute without showing any attitude. If that is what it takes, I will sing it for him and everyone else can just deal with my horrible singing! :eek:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like progress and Ernie, Rhoma and/or Rhema might start singing "How Much is that Birdie in the Window?"