• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is the Amazon good parrot for me?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I have a nest cam. The are several threads on here about cameras.

It also comes in handy when it's cold and you're worried about temperature in the house, I have been known to set a thermometer close by the camera.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
When it comes down to it you need to do what is comfortable for you as well as what is good for the bird. Maybe just staying home a day or two if it would be less stressful for you would work out but taking 2 weeks off just to spend more time with the bird may be nice but not the norm.
Now if you got a baby bird that you had to hand feed every few hours (and I am NOT recommending that) then taking time off would probably be a necessity although it would depend on the feeding schedule.
Ok. I understand. I shouldn't do anything outside the norm regarding my daily schedule. Thank you Iamwhoiam and Mizzely. I thought it would be a good idea, now I know that it wouldn't. Will the bird get accustomed that during the weekends I'm usually at home? Five or four days of work and two or three days at home?

I would never take the bird that I would have to hand feed. Here every Polish expert are in agreement: very bad idea, especially for an inexperienced owner.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna

Handfeeding does lend itself to one person birds because the bird identifies more as a human than a bird. So it could be more prone to trying to start a mate pair bond with a human. In some countries it is illegal to handfeed as it can be mentally harmful to the bird. My Quaker was handed.
Thank you very much. I finally understand why hand feeding is wrong idea. Before I just read: bad idea, bird could attach to one person only but no explanation why. The expert jus said: it is bad because i said so. Now I know. Sound very logical.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I've had my Mealy for 19 years. He was handfed, I got him weaned but still quite young. He's BIG and LOUD. He's spicy and a drama queen. He loves to bluff but very, very seldom bites.

His body language is very easy to read once you know him. He has his favorite people (not me), but is good with me as long as I follow a few rules. The biggest rule is listen to his body language and obey it! ;) Don't pet unless he says OK (bowed head). STOP petting when he says it. He moves away (DON'T FOLLOW).

I love my Amazon to death. He's funny, beautiful, and spicy. He's a easy bird also. Not clingy or demanding. Will sit next to me for hours, but do not try to cuddle (HIS RULE).

In my opinion it is good to start off with what will be a normal routine. But in our 19 years, I've changed up that normal routine so many times, it's a miracle he doesn't resist. Actually he handles change very well as long as I am patient and allow him to process the changes in his own time and way.

I've been bit maybe 4 or 5 times in 19 years. Mealy's are known for being mellow and calm though, so I wasn't expecting a 'hot' bird. All bites were because I moved to fast and startled him, or I didn't listen to him when he said stop. My macaw and cockatoo are more likely to bite unexpectedly than my amazon.

There are many Amazon's that would be great companions. The hot 3 do need some knowledge from their owners though. Double Yellow Headed, Yellow Naped, and Blue Fronts are not for the timid or first time Amazon owner. Get one of these hot 3 and beware of the hormonal aggression that can occur.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would maybe stay at home with him the first day or two but then yes, try to do your daily routine. Most birds actually like routine and adapt pretty well to their person's. For instance, my cockatoo puts himself back in his cage when he sees that I'm getting ready to leave for work.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
The hot 3 do need some knowledge from their owners though. Double Yellow Headed, Yellow Naped, and Blue Fronts are not for the timid or first time Amazon owner. Get one of these hot 3 and beware of the hormonal aggression that can occur.
Before I came to this forum I didn't knew that they are called hot 3. I've read that Double Yellow Headed and Yellow Naped can be quite handful but I never thought that Blue Fronts might be like that as well. I'm not that timid as a person but for sure I'm totally inexperienced with parrots. For a moment I was considering between BF and Mealy. Now I'm inclined to Mealy more and more.
As for following the rules, I intend to. I already know what happens if you don't. :)
Now: the male or the female? I have read about problems with eggs with females, they could get stuck inside (I mean the egg could get stuck) and I'm afraid of this. Is this a common problem?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I have 2 male blue fronts. One is a sweet heart to me (threatens hubby but doesn't bite), one is a unfriendly guy to everybody. I love them both. Even the unfriendly guy communicates with me. He sings opera and talks often.

Look for a cage with feeder doors for the food and water.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
I have 2 male blue fronts. One is a sweet heart to me (threatens hubby but doesn't bite), one is a unfriendly guy to everybody. I love them both. Even the unfriendly guy communicates with me. He sings opera and talks often.

Look for a cage with feeder doors for the food and water.
Why feeder doors? Sorry, I'm not sure I understand properly. Where is the feeder, inside or outside of the cage?
Is the unfriendly guy biting you or is he just avoiding contact?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Why feeder doors? Sorry, I'm not sure I understand properly. Where is the feeder, inside or outside of the cage?
Feeder doors are doors on the cage that let you change food and water without having to open up the entire cage. It's really good for birds that are cage territorial or if someone else has to change the food and water for you that's not really comfortable opening the cage door, etc. For instance, this cage has feeder doors.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah I won't have a cage without feeder doors anymore! It gives someone access to the food bowls without letting the bird out :)

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Feeder doors are doors on the cage that let you change food and water without having to open up the entire cage. It's really good for birds that are cage territorial or if someone else has to change the food and water for you that's not really comfortable opening the cage door, etc. For instance, this cage has feeder doors.

Ok. I see. Really good idea. Thank you.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
See the pictures of the cages that were posted?That protects everybody and gives the bird a bit of security. This is his home. He doesn't want intruders. Hands and arms are intruders. Also when you go on vacation and others must feed and water the bird, it is a good thing. I will never have a cage without them.

Secret doesn't bite because we have learned to be aware of the signals. Amazons are generally easy to read.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
See the pictures of the cages that were posted?That protects everybody and gives the bird a bit of security. This is his home. He doesn't want intruders. Hands and arms are intruders. Also when you go on vacation and others must feed and water the bird, it is a good thing. I will never have a cage without them.

Secret doesn't bite because we have learned to be aware of the signals. Amazons are generally easy to read.
Yes, I see. It is a good idea if someone else would have to take care of the bird.
It is good to know that even with unfriendly bird you can learn to live and cooperate. Maybe he will become friendly one time.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Very big thank you to everyone. I really appreciate all your help and I'm very grateful fot the advices and reading materials. The conversation with you is pure pleasure. My best regards to you.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
This thread has been great to read.
It is so obvious that @Imogena wants to do the right thing by the bird she is wanting to have. I think she will make a great bird carer once she is comfortable enough to bring one into her home, I feel the bird she brings home will be a lucky well loved and cared for bird :)

@Imogena, I wish you all the best in your bird adventures and look forward to reading all about your experiences when you do find your bird.

Oh.... and the English is perfect ;)

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
This thread has been great to read.
It is so obvious that @Imogena wants to do the right thing by the bird she is wanting to have. I think she will make a great bird carer once she is comfortable enough to bring one into her home, I feel the bird she brings home will be a lucky well loved and cared for bird :)

@Imogena, I wish you all the best in your bird adventures and look forward to reading all about your experiences when you do find your bird.

Oh.... and the English is perfect ;)
Thank you very much. :)

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
An amazon may very well choose one or more people to bite and attack. There is no guarantee that you will be the favorite. It may choose you to bite and attack. Also, you don't have to spend long hours entertaining an amazon. Give it some toys and out of cage time on a gym while you do other things and they will usually entertain themselves. If you really need a pet that gets along with everyone, a dog would be the best choice. A cat second choice. Bird would be the last choice. Baby birds usually start out sweet. Many amazons will start choosing a favorite before they are even a year old. By the time they are 8 or 9 years old, most will have definite likes and dislikes and may express STRONG dislike for certain people even if the disliked person is trying hard to be friends.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
An amazon may very well choose one or more people to bite and attack. There is no guarantee that you will be the favorite. It may choose you to bite and attack. Also, you don't have to spend long hours entertaining an amazon. Give it some toys and out of cage time on a gym while you do other things and they will usually entertain themselves. If you really need a pet that gets along with everyone, a dog would be the best choice. A cat second choice. Bird would be the last choice. Baby birds usually start out sweet. Many amazons will start choosing a favorite before they are even a year old. By the time they are 8 or 9 years old, most will have definite likes and dislikes and may express STRONG dislike for certain people even if the disliked person is trying hard to be friends.
Yes, I realize that. That is something I have to always keep in mind while considering whether I will get the bird or not. I could live with not beeing bird's favorite person. But I would mind if I or some other member of my family were atacked by the bird. I don't expect that the bird will love everyone in my family. I only hope non of us will end up with bleeding wounds.
Here on the forum I got some advices and suggestions to take an older bird so I could see if me and the bird get along. I would have some ideas about bird's personality. I thought maybe my whole family could go and see if the bird will accept us. But I also know that this may change in time. The bird might pick one person and form a dislike towards another later, like in a few years. I know that no one can predict what will happen in the future regarding birds feelings.
I also know that it is possible to socialize the bird (at least to some extend) and to teach him/her to tolerate other people. But still it is not a machine you can programm or fix and it will work properly.
I have a lot to thing about and a lot to read.