• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is TD sick?

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Update: TD seems to be back to normal. I was finally able to give him a shower and boy did he go nuts! He has always loved his shower. It's just been too cold to take the chance of him getting hit with a blast of cold air while wet. I know I am an extreme worry wart. Whenever TD does anything even slightly different or new, I'm a basket case! Thanks for caring about my little guy.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Glad he's okay!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Good for TD!!!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's wonderful news!

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Good news ! we all have off days and yes it's been a extremely cold winter in California this year.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:heart2:

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Great news!

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
You're not going to believe this. A few days ago I moved TD to a "new" location. We removed the chair that is behind the passenger seat in the RV. Bought a table and secured it. Finally got TD off of my dining area table and in a place not directly by the stove. That's when he began acting sick. It is also when the cold snap came. We discovered that the new location was even worse for drafts when the door is opened. Today we moved him back to the dining table. It was like night and day! Suddenly, he was his old self again! Whistling the Marines Hymn, asking, "Gimme a tickle?", putting his head under his toys with bells so the bell rests like a hat on his pretty, silly, yellow head. I guess he didn't like the new spot.

Sadly, though, he is still shivering a lot. We're keeping the temperature at 74 degrees. However, 30 yrs ago, when this RV was made, it wasn't made with an eye towards people living in it full time or taking it out in the cold. Most folks went RV'ing in summer. Insulation wasn't high on the priority list. So even though we have the furnace running full time to combat the 40 degree, rainy weather, it still feels like there's a chill in the air.

I have contacted the vet who gave TD his wellness exam last August, but they don't have an ER. I found one that is 37 miles away. They won't have an avian vet til tomorrow, so we are going to take TD there in the morning.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Prayers up :angel1:

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Sending healing thoughts for TD and hugs for you. Hope he will be OK.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I hope TD is ok. Wishing you guys all the best!! :heart:
:hug8:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
How is TD doing?
Hi, everybody. We were going to take TD to the ER in Upland (about 37 miles away from where we are now). But with no generator we can't have heat. TD seemed much better yesterday. We had an appointment to have the generator fixed (we had been waiting for a part to come in) for 9 am this morning and had already scheduled an appointment with the avian vet that did his wellness check in August for Tuesday afternoon, so we'll be at the vet tomorrow.

I don't know what to think. He is eating, drinking, foraging, grooming, whistling, playing with his toys, but shivering without fluffing up. He's very hormonal right now as well. I just realized that I haven't seen a dropped feather in his cage since i can't remember when...is that bad?

One more thing... we had a little accident the day before we tried the move to the new spot. I was transferring TD back to his big house from his travel house and the door of the big house fell down on him (right on his neck). He seemed ok, just frightened, soon afterwards. Now he is biting (which he does when he is hormonal) A LOT, and is scared of everything. He still comes to me for tickles, but other than that itsi like he doesn't really know me. Any thoughts?

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Just sending good thoughts for TD - I hope there's nothing wrong but the old hormones!

Kodigirl210

I would suggest the tried and true. Wave some incentive to come over but make sure to let him come to you. I think if he gets treated he will come back. Also if he is frightened of everything you might try offering treats to him on various items so he can see that they are “safe” again. When nothing bad happens plus he gets yummies - it should alleviate some of his stress. It will probably take some repetition but I’ve noticed our conure can pretty much be coaxed to anything with a little reward waiting for her. Sorry TD was startled. Hope he gets over it quickly!

Kodigirl210

I also meant to add that the cold weather/RV may have delayed TD’s molting. It sounds like it’s been very, very cold for TD and that little body might have decided the feathers were more necessary than getting new ones in. Once TD isn’t shivering the tail feathers off on a regular basis, the molt might kick-in. It’s been known to happen in other types of birds, I don’t know why it wouldn’t be true here. Especially since it was such a shock to the system. Just be patient and give it time. Since you are heading to the vet tomorrow - just add to the list of questions lol ;)

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Hoping the best for TD...please mention the "accident" to your vet. Maybe the shivering could be related to this? Happy to hear other behaviors are normal .

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Hi everybody! According to the vet, TD is fine. He has lost a half a gram. He now weighs only 80.5 grams. She wasn't too concerned about it. She did suggest that I get him a snuggle hut of some type because he is alone in a large cage. I told her I had gotten him a Happy Hut when he was little, but read about some tragic bird deaths related to the Happy Hut and had turned mine into a tablet cozie! So, if any of you out there in BirdyLand can recommend a similar product that is safe, please let me know. I would like to get one asap, so hopefully someone knows of one I can purchase from a "brick and stick" store, I'd truly appreciate the heads-up!

She said some birds just shiver, from excitement, hormones, or for some other "known only to birdies" reason. As long as I know he is not cold and there is no mucus anywhere, not to worry.

I posted this picture earlier in this thread, but would like to ask again if this looks safe to use. I still haven't heard back from the mfg. Thanks everyone!
Screenshot_20190114-153250_20190115170303284.jpg