• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is TD sick?

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
HELP! TD has been sneezing and shivering all morning. What should I do? How do I know if he has a cold? Our generator isn't working. We have managed to keep the furnace running every night during this cold spell by paying to be hooked up to power. We have an appointment tomorrow morning to get it fixed. I haven't given TD a shower in a couple of weeks bcuz every place in the rv we can put him is near a window. Every time we go in and out a blast of cold air rushes in. I'm doing all I can to keep him warm and draft free. Should I go ahead and try to find an Avian Vet or wait and see?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are his sneezes wet or dry? Dry are usually okay. Wet can be a sign of illness. Can you cover his cage partially to make sure he's not in a draft, etc. How are his droppings?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Keep him away from the draft if possible, Dry winter air causes us all to sneeze. Only you know him, if you feel something is wrong, then see a vet..hope hes ok!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Is his eating normal?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Prayers up for TD and you.

Do you have anything like a hot water bottle you can put near the cage for warmth?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope that TD will be OK. Go with your gut. If you feel something is "off" then take him to the vet.
Hope that your generator will be up and running soon.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I hope that all will be well with TD. As the others said, I think you know him best and will be the best person to determine if he is in need of a vet trip. Is he just dry sneezing or is he showing other signs you are concerned about?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Shivering worries me. Could be in pain. Tiels live outside fine when it gets 50 deg or even lower so if your temps are not too severe & you can survive then they can.

Is his appetite normal/dropping???

Try to keep him warm & out of drafts esp if you think something is wrong then the vet.

Hope he is OK...

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Thanks, everyone. TD has no fluids leaking from places he shouldn't! If I had noticed any mucus, I would have found an avian vet immediately. He just seems to be shivering a lot, though we keep the temperature at a minimum of 71 degrees. I know he's extremely dusty as I have been unable to give him his shower. And the furnace heat is a very dry heat.

Can you cover his cage partially to make sure he's not in a draft, etc. How are his droppings?
We cover him and doorways and windows with an eye to air movement. George is really into weather. He built his own weather station out of things we found during our travels. I'm lucky to have him on my side. We make every effort possible, but RVs aren't known for being well-insulated.

His droppings are the same as always, perhaps a bit more yellow.

Is his eating normal?
Yes. That's one of the Buddah Belly Birdy's favorites pastimes. :)

Prayers up for TD and you.
Thank you!

Do you have anything like a hot water bottle
I have an electric heated perch. Of course you need electricity for it (well, duh). It was supposed to be covered with something birds couldn't bite off. TD bit some off. Idk if it's safe. Here is a pic of it:
IMG_20181012_003826198.jpg
What do you think?

If you feel something is "off" then take him to the vet.
I don't feel he is acting any different...other than being in his Randyasaurus personality pretty heavily for the last week or so. Seems like the times between the appearances of Randy U.R. Hormonal have been getting shorter and shorter.

@camelotshadow thank you, I will.

Well, everyone, it's taken me over 3 hours to finish this post! TD's shivering and sneezing are less than earlier. I still see him shivering a bit. But he is eating, playing, foraging. Hasn't been whistling as much today. He usually whistles pretty much from sun up to sun down. I will keep a close eye on him and keep you all posted! Thanks for caring about my little TD.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Janet I know this is going to sound crazy but could the cold be coming up from under the floor and he feels it?

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I hope all is well and it is nothing serious.

:sadhug2:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
could the cold be coming up from under the floor and he feels it?
Anything is possible. I have checked all around and under and above him for obvious drafts. We do have carpet (30 year old carpet, but carpet none the less). It doesn't have any rips or tears in it. All the windows need to be resealed. We had planned on getting things like that done this winter (reseal the windows, the sinks, the showers, replace the carpet, etc.) however, after the cost of having several necessary, major repairs few months in a row (the total brake replacement, leaking axle and replacing the furnace three months ago, last month replacing the toilet, the floor under the toilet and needing two new coach batteries and now we have this generator problem) we haven't had the extra finances, nor the time for those things. When you open a cupboard you can feel the cold air coming in. Poor insulation. Not much to remedy that.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope TD will be completely normal tomorrow with no sneezing, no shivering, and whistling up a storm!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Hoping TD feels better soon!!!! :sadhug2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is TD doing?

Revali

Walking the driveway
I'm not bird expert at all but if he's puffed up sneezing and shivering I would just assume he is sick. So to here about the heating problem that happened to me already this winter and had to get my bird outta the place. Best of luck!