• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is SpotLight Aviary a legit African Grey Breeder

Carl Poe

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
CMP
Does anyone know if the breeder out of Webster, Texas: SportLight Aviary a "legitimate" Breeder
to order birds out of? Please feel free to check out their web site, etc. I was looking to purchase a bird
however I was suspect on their payment options.... FYI

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Scam. Pretty legit looking website, but no one sells Hyacinths for $5500 when they could get $15,000 easily. Also the payment options have SCAM SCAM SCAM written all over them.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Never trust an aviary that wants to ship a bird but won't let you pay using a protected method, such as Paypal (NOT friends and family/gift giving) or credit card.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Scam , stolen photos. What Avicultureist ever calls birds a
" Breed" Birds are called species. Payment methods are scamy also.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Also never trust a "breeder" that wants to sell fertile eggs. Literally no breeder does that. None.

Carl Poe

Real Name
CMP
That is the point of why I started this thread. To me this is extremely important, I am a well educated
post grad business man that has no clue about purchasing a bird, I have dogs as pets...I feel it is very important
that some part of the forum has a list of these so called "Bird Sellers" to be aware of, what to look for, etc...

If someone knows of a well trusted, legit Congo breeder, please pass along to me. Thanks

BTW there are more of these people out there that I have encountered...they should be stopped.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Anas parrots in Pennsylvania usually has some congos. All the breeders on birdbreeders.com are legit.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That is the point of why I started this thread. To me this is extremely important, I am a well educated
post grad business man that has no clue about purchasing a bird, I have dogs as pets...I feel it is very important
that some part of the forum has a list of these so called "Bird Sellers" to be aware of, what to look for, etc...

If someone knows of a well trusted, legit Congo breeder, please pass along to me. Thanks

BTW there are more of these people out there that I have encountered...they should be stopped.

They change their websites and URLS and names so often that we can't keep up with them :/

Basically red flags are:

Hyacinths under 10k
Worldwide shipping
selling fertile eggs
calling species "breeds"
Talking about vaccinations
The baby birds have "perfect" personalities - not fearful, don't bite, talk a lot
Repeating paragraphs/sentences (like it was copy and pasted)
Bad English

You can also copy and paste some of the paragraphs into google and usually find where they stole it word for word.

Example:

Birds and Parrots for Sale/Adoption. Macaw birds, African Grey parrot - spotlightaviary.com - Our Philosophy Is from here Baby Parrots, Macaw breeder, Parrot breeder, Cockatoo breeder

Or some of them show up in other scams.

Example

First paragraph in "about us" Birds and Parrots for Sale/Adoption. Macaw birds, African Grey parrot - spotlightaviary.com - About Us Is also on About Us - PARROTS - FERTILE EGGS KFT out of Budapest.

If you copy and paste something and it shows up in multiple cities or countries (esp craigslist ads) then it is also a scam

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
they referr moluccan cockatoos ( but picture umbrellas) as "lovely kids companions" LOLLL

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
They ship worldwide for very cheap.
They don't accept CC or Paypal.
They don't list references (to be fair, few breeders do. But they should be easily able to give you references of avian vets, bird stores, or other legit breeders when asked).
They steal their pictures. Try reverse-searching the images of "their" birds on tineye.com. Very often they are stolen from well-known breeders.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
How can people be so vile & heartless. Selling fake gold or jewelry is one thing. Its terrible to be parted with hard earned money & not get anything in return. One can get deeply emotionally attached to a bird never even met. Expecting a bird & buying a cage & toys & food with all the excitement & then the terrible realization that the cage will never be filled is heartbreaking.

People like this are worse than excrement & I hope they know someday how it feels to have there heart ripped out but they probably never will as they have no hearts!

:extremeanger:

I found Rio on Bird Breeders. They seem to be good but one must always try to check even real breeders as they all don't have the same standards.

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
There is a vaccination for baby birds and I would highly recommend it, it's the Polyoma vaccine. And I do believe the going price for a Hy is below $10K but I haven't been shopping around lately. When shopping for a breeder, it's kind of buyer beware and do your research. Ask questions like you're doing now and know your subject matter.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Anas parrots in Pennsylvania usually has some congos. All the breeders on birdbreeders.com are legit.

Disagree. They have control over which reviews are posted. You have to do due diligence with them as with anybody else.

SuzyM

Real Name
Suzy Moren
Hello, I'm new here, and currently waiting for my Grey to be weaned. I had Greys a long time ago, so am very excited to be getting another! My breeder is Rainforestaviaries.com in San Diego California. Paul Colo is the owner, he is a bird keeper at the San Diego zoo and very knowledgeable and good to work with. Their phone number is 619 518 5140. He does ship within the U.S. I also second the recommendation for the African Queen Aviaries! I remember Jean Pattison from almost 20 years ago, she is well regarded.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
There is a vaccination for baby birds and I would highly recommend it, it's the Polyoma vaccine. And I do believe the going price for a Hy is below $10K but I haven't been shopping around lately. When shopping for a breeder, it's kind of buyer beware and do your research. Ask questions like you're doing now and know your subject matter.

West Nile is also a vaccine commonly (at least in my area) suggested for birds that spend any time outdoors. WNV was one of the possible causes for Pippin's illness last year.

So, seconding your statement: Yes, vaccines for parrots are a thing.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My first and only TAG was from Jean in Florida. At 13 weeks of age she was already eating veggies and fruit and Harrisons pellets. She readily stepped up on my hand. Could not have asked for a better baby Grey.

BirdLover529

Ana's Parrots seems very popular in Pennsylvania. I called her and she seems very knowledgeable.

Parrots529

Real Name
Kim Murphy

Attachments

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is a scam artist. Anyone considering her should RUN like H E L L!!! If you do your research, you'll learn exactly what I'm talking about