• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Shipping a good Idea?

Bulldogs&Birds

Meeting neighbors
Has anyone on here had a bird shipped to them? I would rather meet the bird first then buy, but I live out in the middle of nowhere in Wisconsin so there aren’t many breeders over here. I was also wondering how you feel about getting a bird from a pet store. A few years back, my mom and I got a green cheek from a pet store. It was a small store though and not like Petco or petsmart. He was a sweet little bird and never showed signs of distress or trauma.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My bird was shipped from Florida to Tennessee. It was the first time I'd ever done anything like that, but it worked out. If you want to know anything specific, ask away.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had my hyacinth shipped to me. I'm currently waiting on weather issues to get a couple of hawks shipped to me. I've shipped amazons before. Never a major problem. My hyacinth missed a flight and got here a couple hours later than expected, but no big disaster. Delta airlines is currently the main one for shipping. They have a policy that it must be under 85 in all cities where the plane touches down. Which can make shipping this time of year difficult. They also just changed their policy to 80 degrees or less, but I think that might just apply to non-bird pets. However, it might be a pet vs. non-pet status issue, which could further complicate things.
For pet stores, I'd only buy from the very best pet store. I'd buy from someone that had great references and required a baby to be shipped before I'd buy a bird from most pet stores.

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Depending on how far you are willing to travel, there is a great place in northern Chicago--ParrotStars.
I've written a few other places about my positive experience with them, but would be happy to chat if you'd like.
They will ship under certain circumstances, but you could potentially make a trip in to see their selection first.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Dusky Conure was shipped via Delta. Had no issues with shipping.
I was nervous, though, and stressed until I picked him up at the airport.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My WCP was shipped to me from Ontario. I was super on edge and anxious about her, but she was just fine.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Valentine was shipped from Texas!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you live in the boonies will there be an avian vet available?

I lived in the North woods of Wisconsin for 2 years. Nothing but livestock and deer hunters.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Rio was shipped from TX to CA by United..safely!