• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is she okay???

Mango+Mushi

Meeting neighbors
Hello,

Been a while since I posted here.
I have been having some trouble with my lovebird. Okay basically my lovebird has eggs right now (so far normal) and she rarely comes out the cage (also normal). Today I tried to take her out of the cage and it didn't look like she wanted to. So I just opened the cage door and she eventually came out. What was weird was she was like SUPER fluffy and her eyes were a bit shut, not completely, but a little more like she was tired. And she seemed very light. Today is not the day she lays an egg so I got a bit scared. Is she okay???

Please reply, I'm really worried.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
How many eggs has she had. When was the last egg laid. Is she sitting on the eggs. If she is sitting on the eggs does she have a food and water source close to where she is nesting. Is she eating well. Do you have a scale to weigh her.

If she is not acting normal for her and you are worried it would be best to contact an avian vet as soon as possible.

@SandraK @melissasparrots @Laurul Feather Cat I have tagged some members that have experience with eeg laying hens.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Egg laying can be scary. They can seem a little light after laying and tired. However, on non-laying days, they usually perk around. If its been a while since her last egg, you might try consulting a vet or make an appointment. Has she finished laying the clutch? When was the last time she laid an egg? I get worried when I see fluffy and squinty eyed. In laying females I might let it go for 24 hours for observation if the bird is eating and moving ok, but when in doubt ask a vet. Ultimately with laying hens its a judgement call sometimes and I use intuition a lot.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When in doubt, have them checked out. Better than the alternative. I took my one hen in (Snerky) when she seemed a bit off. She turned out to be fine - guess she was just wiped out. But I'd do that every time over taking a chance that she'd be fine and then finding out the hard way that I was wrong!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Low calcium is the biggest worry in laying hens. Does she have calcium supplements available and does she use them? Make sure easy to eat (seeds, birdy bread) food is in the cage, close to to the nest. If she doesn't perk up in 24 hours, get her to a vet.

Mango+Mushi

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for all your help and advice.

She has food near her and water and yes I put vitamins calcium everything in her food. She was sleeping for a while, I think I got the eggs laying wrong I think she just laid an egg when I took her out so she wasn't feeling good. I took her out later in the day and she was fine. Wasn't over fluffing herself and her eyes wide and open <3 She laid a clutch of 4, I think she is finished now. She came out a lot today, chewed some things up and sought a lot of attention. So everything is better. I'll give you guys update.

Thanks again for all your help!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that your bird was acting "off" but good that she seems to be feeling better. Do continue to monitor her.