• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is scotch tape bad for birds?

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
I'm making a forager for Leo by putting some seeds in a bowl with paper towel over top with some tiny holes in it to help encourage him to tear the paper up and get the food inside. I need a way to keep the paper towel on the bowl so he doesn't just throw the paper off. if a have the tape folded underneath the bowl lip and he still finds it would it be harmful to him?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Use a piece of string. Never use any kind of tape to make toys.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
if a have the tape folded underneath the bowl lip and he still finds it would it be harmful to him?
Yes it will. Both consider that he can get stuck with it, and that it's poison.

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
Yes it will. Both consider that he can get stuck with it, and that it's poison.
I had a feeling that it might be poisonous, that’s why I asked about it here first before putting it in the cage

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I would look into tying some type of leather rope on it personally. Leather rope usually has a little bit of give to it so it should stay on a little better :)

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
I would look into tying some type of leather rope on it personally. Leather rope usually has a little bit of give to it so it should stay on a little better :)
Thanks, I’ll try that!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I'd say leather chord (veggie tanned) or paper chord/string. Leather is pretty unlikely to accidentally get a bird in trouble (difficult to tie a knot), and same goes for paper chord. And if the paper chord does get around something like a foot, it's very easily chewed through. I primarily use those two around my little guys and have had no problems. In fact, Sherbie is more likely to chew the paper chord rather than the toy itself. :rolleyes: Rupert is the same way with his leather chord. He loves chewing on it.