• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is rosemary essential oil dangerous?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I personally will NOT use Young Living brand. Lots of legal issues over the years, but the biggest thing is they have also educated people in using oils in improper ways which can cause harm. Additionally, when I was on my year long researching binge on EOs, I could not find anyone to give me an honest, clear, and sensible answer as to HOW they are TRULY better than others on the market.

I use Plant Therapy. You can always ask them about their latest batch reporting, MSDS, and for responsible advice. They also get a lot of guidance from Robert Tisserand, who is one of the leading experts in essential oils right now.
Thank you! Sorry if thus is a dumb question but what is MSDS?

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Thank you! Sorry if thus is a dumb question but what is MSDS?
I assume Material safety data sheet.

Only oil I can use that does not bother my severe asthma, I won't be changing anytime soon been using the oil for too many years with success.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I assume Material safety data sheet.

Only oil I can use that does not bother my severe asthma, I won't be changing anytime soon been using the oil for too many years with success.

Absolutely continue with what works for you! :) I have had good results with myself and had great results with Gizmo and her arthritis too, using Plant Therapy, so I totally get being brand loyal when you find something that works for you!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I use Doterra, another high grade brand. And I have friends who use Mountain...something?

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thanks so much everyone!!
When I was at whole foods today they only had two brands. NOW & Aura Cacia so I picked Now because I like a the bottle better and it said 100% so I hope it'll be good enough. Next time I'll look out for the other brands memtioned here. Thanks!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks so much everyone!!
When I was at whole foods today they only had two brands. NOW & Aura Cacia so I picked Now because I like a the bottle better and it said 100% so I hope it'll be good enough. Next time I'll look out for the other brands memtioned here. Thanks!!

Plant Therapy only sells on their website I believe. It helps them keep their costs down. And free shipping is a bonus :)

I've not experienced Now but I like their other products (foods). Aura Cacia I find to smell too perfumey...just seems off somehow.

I use Doterra, another high grade brand. And I have friends who use Mountain...something?

I have less issues with DoTerra then I do YL LOL. Mountain Rose is probably the other one you are thinking of.

Cockatielhour

Meeting neighbors
There seems to be a lot of strong feelings regarding Essential oils so it's a very touchy subject that I tread lightly on. My personal experience, I'll admit I do use young living essential oils, but only Young Living. I also researched for many months and spoke to people who were already using it before I decided it was safe and first tried it with my bird. I tried it at first as another way to help my female who was an excessive egg layer at the time. (She no longer is) I have and closely follow Melissa Shelton's Animal Desk Reference Book. I see if and how she has used the oil (because I'm aware of her connection with young living ) I then cross reference it with google and the personal experiences of others BEFORE I get or use the oil around my birds. When using it the first time I put it on diffuse for 1-3 minutes closely watching the birds for any sort of reactions because while it may say it's safe and have been safe for others there is always the chance your bird could have a personal allergic reaction to it. I diffuse in the master bedroom and away from the birds for the most part. I would just say education is key and each bird is different. Just do your research and make the best choice for your bird. It's a tough spot to be in. If I don't research correctly and something happens to my birds then that's on me and I will bare that responsibility and that's a lot of weight on my shoulders so it's not a choice I make lightly. In the end I only want what's best for my Fids.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I grow a lot of rosemary around my home. I don't know what the difference for most but why not use the actual rosemary in the bath? I'll buy roses at Costco put them on display, and as they wilt a little, they go in my water, same with lavender, mint and other things from my garden. I've used thyme and other items. I'm super duper sensitive and break out easily whether I breathe it or topical but I find when I use the real actual plant in the tub, or around the house fresh cut, I get the relaxation of the aroma without any skin reactions whatsoever. Rosemary crushed has a lot of oil in and of itself. I use coconut oil as a conditioner (I just put a little on the ends and brush) or olive oil in a pinch.

I really feel unless it's for medication that is necessary, there are always safer ways you can get the aroma without any of the guilt or even having to question. I'm always positive there are safer and better alternatives we just haven't thought up yet or is already out there. I lost Tito and almost lost my daughter. I've lost others in my life but dang it hurts too much to me. I don't mind messing with myself but when it comes to my kids (that's all animals under my roof, including the humans) I don't take chances. I just think of all the McDonalds I've fed my kids without knowing what was in it. I would never have served it to them like it was a dang treat.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Just my two cents - The rescue I used to volunteer at diffused tea tree oil directly at a cockatiel's cage who had major skin problems (little lumps/ingrown feathers) from living with a smoker for many years. I'm not positive, but pretty sure, the rescue's vet okayed it.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I would just say education is key and each bird is different
Exactly. I don’t ascribe to anyone directly associated with a company— instead I look for experts in the bird world. Also I took a pricey aromatherapy program to learn more about using oils.
I wish there was more information out there about oils and animals, particularly birds.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thanks again, so much, everyone!

I'm somewhat new to essential oils so I'm glad there are others here who have more knowledge than me!

I used to use tea tree oil, and I love it, but I heard that one is dangerous around birds so I don't use it anymore (unless I put it on before I leave for work and then shower thoroughly before interacting with Blu)
Is it dangerous?

Also one more question, if I may? Is peppermint eo dangerous to birds? I would like to mix equal parts rosemary with peppermint, if it's Ok?

I used the rosemary oil mixed with jojoba oil last night for the first time and Blu hung out on my shoulder this morning, and he didn't seem effected by it so I am thinking, and hoping, it's okay to continue.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I truly believe in essential oils for medical reasons. My mother and my daughter both have asthma. Both are on inhalers. We use mint, peppermint, and eucalyptus wet leaves and pulse them in my chopper and put them in water around the home to bring out good smells. If I want those smells in the air, I'll let it sit in water for a few days and I'll strain the water and put it through my humidifier in the living room for my daughter.

I'm sure there are a lot of good oils and other items out there. But most are made for humans and we can take a lot more than our tiny fids who breathe, and hearts beat so much faster than ours. Whose kidneys and livers aren't as used to being abused with alcohol/advil/cold meds/needed meds, etc. The other side is when we can use it, as a profession tells us, to use it for them to do good.

I myself don't know enough. There is too much controversy and too many conflicting opinions. I'd rather just ask the vet. See what she/he says and take it from there. Don't go listening to the person at Whole Foods or the herbal shop tell you it's okay. Ask the vet. That should end the unknown.

Cockatielhour

Meeting neighbors
@flinchly It is not solely about birds but they are the first topic in each of her descriptions and then she moves on to cats, dogs and horses.

I don’t know if it is well researched or not. Hard to trust sources when they’re advertising for a company.[/QUOTE said:
Yes I'm well aware both are associated with young living which is why I take it with a grain so salt.

Though if she says there is an oils she doesn't use on her birds then I definitely don't use that one as well. Or if she says one oil is too new and doesn't have enough research again, I choose not to use it. So basically it's really helping to weed out the oils I don't want to diffuse in my house. Hope this helps.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@flinchly It is not solely about birds but they are the first topic in each of her descriptions and then she moves on to cats, dogs and horses.
Thank you!